Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are bulb upgrades a good idea for my car? Usually I would have bought the h13 and be done but I have the once again pesky drl. So would shelling out the 40-50 be a bad idea since they will always be on and they already have a semi low-mid bulb life?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Whitelightning said:
Are bulb upgrades a good idea for my car? Usually I would have bought the h13 and be done but I have the once again pesky drl. So would shelling out the 40-50 be a bad idea since they will always be on and they already have a semi low-mid bulb life?
Ok stupid question what are drls?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daytime running lights. They come on at half power that the regular headlights would Everytime the car is in a gear besides park.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a 2011? Without a dealer? Please sir do tell me more

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Whitelightning said:
Daytime running lights. They come on at half power that the regular headlights would Everytime the car is in a gear besides park.
Wait do your headlights are half powered? I don't understand haha

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright bro, when in park and my lights are in the O position, they are off. As soon as I shift into reverse, drive, or a number gear the headlights come on at half power no matter what. If I select the P option on my headlight switch, my parking lights come on and the headlights are still half power. When I turn the headlights on they are at full power and standard brightness. Then I can use high an low beams. It looks super tacky if you have it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Moonshine, check your pm.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't just disable them so I won't have to deal with the half power and burning an expensive bulb

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Whitelightning said:
I can't just disable them so I won't have to deal with the half power and burning an expensive bulb
That sounds like such a dumb thing to put on a car! Like what is even the point?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NicholasP said:
That sounds like such a dumb thing to put on a car! Like what is even the point?
Better visibility on the road. Most rentals and Canadian cars have them. Mine was a rental...

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
I personally like the idea of DRLs. Here in North Florida, it rains nearly everyday and I just hate when people don't turn their lights on in the rain. With some color cars, they blend in with the rain so well that you don't see them until you're right on their butt.

Half power = better visibility? Not trying to argue or anything
In this case, it's about making you more visible to other people, rather than making the road more visible to you. The best reason I can think of is what I stated above about the rain.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's about it. It is a safety feature. But on a badass car, it ruins it for me. So freaking tacky. I mean in a Camry or Honda, cool. Not Merican made muscle. I don't want no silly car ridin around town. I want a full throttle throaty muscle car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Stupid question: I didn't think Mustangs, at least in the US, had DRL. If I'm supposed to have them, is there a way to turn them on or off?

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 12 does not have drl's. Had it come with them, they would have been bypassed the first day, at the same time, 25 minutes off the dealership lot when I swapped in my HID's lol. I messaged you again Moonshine.

I would have to say this: I understand the premise of DRLs, I even agree, that during inclement weather, your lights should be on. I even like it that some people's lights are on at dawn and at dusk when they think they see fine, but it is harder to see a certain color(s). BUT. Statistics have shown that vehicles equipped with DRLs are not safer than cars NOT equipped. GM Has been using DRLs in some fashion since the early 90's, their accident ratings have never dropped. Compared to a company such as Honda, which has few cars with DRLs up until now, who's accident ratings have only slightly risen due to the rising number of these vehicles on the road. Basically bringing it down to personal opinion, speculation, and preference. I prefer no DRLs. I like HIDs and LEDs, and if I do not want my lights on, I turn them off.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Stupid question: I didn't think Mustangs, at least in the US, had DRL. If I'm supposed to have them, is there a way to turn them on or off?
Pretty sure U.S. Mustangs do not have, or I would be selling alor more relays and capacitors for them lol. :D

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WtFDiesel said:
My 12 does not have drl's. Had it come with them, they would have been bypassed the first day, at the same time, 25 minutes off the dealership lot when I swapped in my HID's lol. I messaged you again Moonshine.

I would have to say this: I understand the premise of DRLs, I even agree, that during inclement weather, your lights should be on. I even like it that some people's lights are on at dawn and at dusk when they think they see fine, but it is harder to see a certain color(s). BUT. Statistics have shown that vehicles equipped with DRLs are not safer than cars NOT equipped. GM Has been using DRLs in some fashion since the early 90's, their accident ratings have never dropped. Compared to a company such as Honda, which has few cars with DRLs up until now, who's accident ratings have only slightly risen due to the rising number of these vehicles on the road. Basically bringing it down to personal opinion, speculation, and preference. I prefer no DRLs. I like HIDs and LEDs, and if I do not want my lights on, I turn them off.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Pretty sure U.S. Mustangs do not have, or I would be selling alor more relays and capacitors for them lol. :D
Every rental/ tester mustang has them. Mine was made in good ole Michigan. I can take pictures to prove it lol I've only seen 3 total with them. One other v6 and one GT. I wish it was like the old days where you can pull a fuse. I don't want to spend $300 again just for the dealer to say, sorry we couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok, here's how to bypass DRLs with an HID Kit and Relay install: First, install the bulbs (H13) by inserting, and turn to lock. Then connect the two bulb power wires to the ballast. BUT Instead of using the power adapter that would plug into your factory wiring.....don't. Take your relay harness, connect the positive input to the + on the battery like normal, connect the ground(s) to ground like normal, and plug the outputs into the ballasts. You have just bypassed the factory wiring. Now, here's the make it bright with no drl part: There's 2 ways, depending on your comfort level, you take the input lead of the relay harness (will be the positive and negative that you would normally pluginto the factory wiring)and: 1st way: Ground the ground, then use the positive output of the headlight relay(if there is two relays, either one will do, no need in using both) to power the relay. BOOM!! No DRLs and you have headlights on demand. 2nd way: If you do not want to pull your underhood fuse/relay center off to get at the bottom of the relay socket, you can also grab the trigger wire from inside, on the back of the switch. BUT, the difference here is that the switch wire inside the car is a negative output. SO on the relay input, you connect the positive side of the set to the battery along with the main relay power wire, then connect the ground side of the relay switch wire to the Blue w/white stripe wire on the rear of your light switch in the car. Either way, you now have HIDs and no DRLs.

Every rental/ tester mustang has them. Mine was made in good ole Michigan. I can take pictures to prove it lol I've only seen 3 total with them. One other v6 and one GT. I wish it was like the old days where you can pull a fuse. I don't want to spend $300 again just for the dealer to say, sorry we couldn't figure it out.
I believe you, I know the rentals/testers/and protos have them. But the other 98% of the Mustang drivers in the U.S. won't have this issue. You just plug and play whatever lighting you want.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Pretty sure U.S. Mustangs do not have, or I would be selling alor more relays and capacitors for them lol. :D[/QUOTE]

Haha!

·
Registered
130 Posts
LoL, it's true. Any vehicle with a single beam head light that has DRLs, has to have a relay/capacitor setup to work with HIDs. Otherwise the HIDs will just flicker and die. With a high end halogen set, you will just cut the life of the bulb, because the lower voltage will decay the filament faster.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts