Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the heads on a 99-04 2v be removed while the engine is in the engine bay?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It takes a lot of time and a lot of work

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It takes a lot of time and a lot of work
I removed the 5,4 3v heads off of a f150 whole the engine was in the bay...I'm sure this would be easier :). Like he said it takes time...it's not a 2 hour procedure. And you will want to get new gaskets and head bolts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yea a shop said takes 10 hours but I was also asking for them to be ported and polished
Port and polish? Are you aware of the plus and minus and full scenario of it? Do you daily drive the car? Do you drive it far?

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeap check out my vids! I just got my cobra so it will need some suspension work
If you drive the car 5-10 Miles a day, Porting and polishing isn't a good idea... I'd recommend a SLIGHT Port with a Mild Polish... Better combustion and better gas milage and it's not nearly has harsh on your motor. I used to be all for it but after I started doing some research and testing the waters with the port and polish theory. If you want some techy information I will happily PM you a decent amount of research I have spent time doing in the past two years on porting and polishing.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you drive the car 5-10 Miles a day, Porting and polishing isn't a good idea... I'd recommend a SLIGHT Port with a Mild Polish... Better combustion and better gas milage and it's not nearly has harsh on your motor. I used to be all for it but after I started doing some research and testing the waters with the port and polish theory. If you want some techy information I will happily PM you a decent amount of research I have spent time doing in the past two years on porting and polishing.
im interested pm me on the research, got a set of pi heads laying around extra to do all i want to them first before i install.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'd like Ty info too..

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'll send it to you both when I boot up my pc in a bit.

·
Registered
634 Posts
sent you both a PM, that was just a quick summary of what my notes are. there really like 5 pages long going into measurements and blah boring stuff.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if I did a trick flow head swap on my car that gets driven a bit its not a good idea? I plan to get another car so I can garage my Stang and drive it only in nice weather. I like the number gains from the trick flow heads.

·
Registered
617 Posts
A good portion of those numbers though are due to the cams I believe. Don't get me wrong I think their heads are sweet and if I had 2gs laying around I'd put them on. I'd probably go all out and get the heads, cams, and bullit-style intake while I'm at it. Car would be a whole new animal. I dont think that their heads would cause your car any issues. Yes porting and polishing removes material and can lead to engine issues, but I doubt TF would be in business if you couldn't use their heads for an extended period of time without risking engine failure etc etc.

·
Registered
634 Posts
A good portion of those numbers though are due to the cams I believe. Don't get me wrong I think their heads are sweet and if I had 2gs laying around I'd put them on. I'd probably go all out and get the heads, cams, and bullit-style intake while I'm at it. Car would be a whole new animal. I dont think that their heads would cause your car any issues. Yes porting and polishing removes material and can lead to engine issues, but I doubt TF would be in business if you couldn't use their heads for an extended period of time without risking engine failure etc etc.
Correct, I'm talking in regards too having your heads Port and Polished. I'm personally not a fan of trick flow heads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts