Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so today I punched it at a tunnel and all of the sudden my radio turned off and the battery light flashed red like 3-5 times. Now all of the sudden my radio turns on and off.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This happens to me on a regular basis, except my radio isn't affected. Nothing changes, the battery light just flashes a lot. Brand new optima red top battery too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is due tow bad alt. it will test out fine but it actually is bad so replace it before you ruin your new battery. Also, I just learned this so I wanna save the next guy from same trouble. So if you replace the original 105 amp alt with a larger amp to handle lights and radio, let me warn you now. And that is get the upgrade wire kit from AM to transfer power from the new high amp alternator. If you buy like a 160 amp and just put it on, you will ruin it to without the upgrade wire. Why? Because the factory return wire is not made to transfer a lot of voltage only the factory voltage....

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Now with that being said when I realized this I was like duh why didn't I think about that. See like that saying goes use factory not aftermarket. Well there ya go. Oh and alternators are expensive so might try and ebay them...

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Matticus said:
This happens to me on a regular basis, except my radio isn't affected. Nothing changes, the battery light just flashes a lot. Brand new optima red top battery too.
I have the same problem also same battery.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
I have the same problem also same battery.
Yah like I said I replace my old alternator with a new 160 amp one and the flashing light went away. Then all the sudden last week it started again that's when I found out why. It doesn't do it till high rpm's though...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
I just got back from a week vacation and left the stang at home it wouldn't crank when I got back I need a new one bad.
Ah yah I'd say so

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Mathew r Wright said:
Ah yah I'd say so
Have I've been any help though just wanna make sure?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Yea man you helped a lot cause I was going to order a new high output but don't think about upgrading the wires but now you said that it makes sense to since the stock ones arnt designed for the high amps. Cause I have HID and a amp and speakers so I could use more amps.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
Yea man you helped a lot cause I was going to order a new high output but don't think about upgrading the wires but now you said that it makes sense to since the stock ones arnt designed for the high amps. Cause I have HID and a amp and speakers so I could use more amps.
Yah an like I said AM has the wire kit and its not to bad on price neither...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Venomouz831 said:
So buy a new amp alt and wire kit?
If you buy a alternator that is rated over factory amperage. If you just buy another 105A alternator then no you don't need the wire kit. Only if you buy one over 105A.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mathew r Wright said:
If you buy a alternator that is rated over factory amperage. If you just buy another 105A alternator then no you don't need the wire kit. Only if you buy one over 105A.
Ok kool thnks. It stopped doing it today so I'll see if the problem proceeds

1 - 16 of 16 Posts