Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma. I have found a set of heads that are in a salvage yard near me. They are on a '03 Crown Vic police car. The yard will not let me go pull them off, I have to pay them to do it. What I'm wondering is... Are these PI heads? If yes, then I'm wondering if the Vic's had a Romeo block or a Windsor block. I've been told that the number of bolts for the valve covers are different on the two. I would like to stay away from using conversion kits if I can. Any help or insight would be much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
truckinu said:
From what I understand half way thru '01 and up they are all Romeo heads.
Even on Crown Vic's? I find all kinds of info about this on stangs but nothing on Vic's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Not sure. You said it was a cop car too so those I would think are 4V heads. Might want to check unless that's what you're going for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
I think you don't want heads from 99-01 fo pi swap. I think those are bad years. 04 would be best. They have extra threads(sparkplug) so plug don't shoot out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jdavis96gt said:
I think you don't want heads from 99-01 fo pi swap. I think those are bad years. 04 would be best. They have extra threads(sparkplug) so plug don't shoot out.
Have people had problems with blowing out plugs with the PI swap?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Have people had problems with blowing out plugs with the PI swap?
I'm not sure. When I first joined there was lots of people having plugs shooting out. Also certain years have the cam and cam gear in one piece. But that mostly applies to people just doing cams and intake swap. If your doing heads and all, I don't think that will effect you.

I would just Google it. There ate tons of threads and walkthroughs on it. There's a set of 04 heads kinda close to me for $300 or 400. I'm in WV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I've been searching head info too. What I do know is that the Romeo heads have the 11 bolt valve covers. The Windsor heads have 13 bolt valve covers on the driver side and 14 bolt valve covers on the passenger side. Not sure if all of them have this but there is a PI stamped right under the part numbers on the head. On my driver side head, it is stamped just above the exhaust manifold towards the back of the engine or near the #8 cylinder. I currently have Patriot Performace stage 2 heads that are actually Ford cores that get worked. Mine are PI and Windsor which seems to be the better heads from some of the searching I've been doing. Here is a picture I found on google. Look just above the #8 exhaust port, right under the Ford part number is the PI stamp.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jdavis96gt said:
I'm not sure. When I first joined there was lots of people having plugs shooting out. Also certain years have the cam and cam gear in one piece. But that mostly applies to people just doing cams and intake swap. If your doing heads and all, I don't think that will effect you.

I would just Google it. There ate tons of threads and walkthroughs on it. There's a set of 04 heads kinda close to me for $300 or 400. I'm in WV.
The best I can find is off a 03 police car. Makes me a little Leary. I'm a little far from WV. Im in Minnesota.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

tmd07 said:
I've been searching head info too. What I do know is that the Romeo heads have the 11 bolt valve covers. The Windsor heads have 13 bolt valve covers on the driver side and 14 bolt valve covers on the passenger side. Not sure if all of them have this but there is a PI stamped right under the part numbers on the head. On my driver side head, it is stamped just above the exhaust manifold towards the back of the engine or near the #8 cylinder. I currently have Patriot Performace stage 2 heads that are actually Ford cores that get worked. Mine are PI and Windsor which seems to be the better heads from some of the searching I've been doing. Here is a picture I found on google. Look just above the #8 exhaust port, right under the Ford part number is the PI stamp.
That is good information to have. Now if the yard will let me go out and look at the car before they pull them I can see what kind and if they are PI. Thanks for the help.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top