Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Some of you who helped me sort out my exhaust situation know I have the Roush axle-back on rush order. Just saw on the tracker that it's in my neighborhood so I will have it today. I intend on installing it when I get home, rather than wait to bring it in to the shop. No sense in doing that since I placed a rush on it. Here is where I need your help:

What tools am I going to need? On AM they say "Standard hand tools" but I don't know if I have everything.

How hard is it? I'm not dummy, but I've never done an exhaust before so I don't know what to expect.

Is this doable within 2 hours?

Thanks for all the help (in advance).

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Klaximilian said:
Hey guys,

Some of you who helped me sort out my exhaust situation know I have the Roush axle-back on rush order. Just saw on the tracker that it's in my neighborhood so I will have it today. I intend on installing it when I get home, rather than wait to bring it in to the shop. No sense in doing that since I placed a rush on it. Here is where I need your help:

What tools am I going to need? On AM they say "Standard hand tools" but I don't know if I have everything.

How hard is it? I'm not dummy, but I've never done an exhaust before so I don't know what to expect.

Is this doable within 2 hours?

Thanks for all the help (in advance).
Standard and metric sockets are all that you need. Grease helps, and will be useful down the road. I got a tub of Mobil1 synthetic grease from autozone for a few bucks and the **** is like magic. It's useful in removing the old exhaust and putting the new on. If you can't get to the store or can't find it, wd40 will also work, and in a real pinch you can use tire shine. Just don't use anything that will eat up the rubber hangars.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You can do it yourself and installing is easy but the hard or rather annoying part is getting the stock mufflers off. I tried it with my first axle back and got about 45 min into it and got annoyed so I ended up just taking it to a shop and them switch my axle back for 50 bucks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Redstang1 said:
You can do it yourself and installing is easy but the hard or rather annoying part is getting the stock mufflers off. I tried it with my first axle back and got about 45 min into it and got annoyed so I ended up just taking it to a shop and them switch my axle back for 50 bucks.
Taking them off is the hardest part. Get ready to use some muscle. But you will love them when they are finally on. And get ready to stop at the gas station a few times bcuz your going to be driving around a few hrs just to hear the amazing sound!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking them off is the hardest part. Get ready to use some muscle. But you will love them when they are finally on. And get ready to stop at the gas station a few times bcuz your going to be driving around a few hrs just to hear the amazing sound!!!!
What exactly is hard about taking the stocks off? Are they sort of tightened on to the piping a little too much?

Also, stupid question to ask. Should I just use a standard car ramp to get underneath it?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Klaximilian said:
Is there anything welded that needs to come off?
No, but the clamp is welded to the mufflers. Just an FYI before you waste 30 mins trying to figure out why it won't move ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whats the deal with the hangers?

I know they bolt in to the underside of the car, but how do they connect to the new Roush Muffler? Or do I not use the stock hangers for this install?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Klaximilian said:

I know they bolt in to the underside of the car, but how do they connect to the new Roush Muffler? Or do I not use the stock hangers for this install?
The roush mufflers have pieces of metal that protrude from it that correspond to the appropriate hanger. Just slide the metal into the stock hanger. I use pb blaster penetrating oil to help and that stuff is magical. Also since it clamps on, it's nice to have impact wrenches. I I had so many clamps for my pypes super system that without the impact wrenches I would have gone crazy.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Klaximilian said:

Do not unbolt the hangars. It's very hard to get them back into place and tightened again.

Klaximilian said:
Judging from pictures, I think the Roush exhaust comes with new clamps. I think....
They do, but the old clip slips over the ball and socket joint and presents some interesting clearance issued. Usually, you would just slide it up or down the pipe, but it is tack welded in place. You will understand when you look at it.

ThinBlueLine said:
The roush mufflers have pieces of metal that protrude from it that correspond to the appropriate hanger. Just slide the metal into the stock hanger. I use pb blaster penetrating oil to help and that stuff is magical. Also since it clamps on, it's nice to have impact wrenches. I I had so many clamps for my pypes super system that without the impact wrenches I would have gone crazy.
PB blaster is great for loosening stubborn bolts, but I wouldn't use it on rubber. Stick with grease for rubber/poly joints and bushings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't remove the hangers from the car? How easy is it to remove the hanger from the muffler while the hanger attached to the car?
When you get under the car a lot of these questions will answer themselves:cool:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Klaximilian said:
Don't remove the hangers from the car? How easy is it to remove the hanger from the muffler while the hanger attached to the car?
Very, just slide the muffler toward the front of the car and they pop out. It helps to have a second set of hands to push the midpipe out of the way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very, just slide the muffler toward the front of the car and they pop out. It helps to have a second set of hands to push the midpipe out of the way.
OK, the reason I ask is because I hear that they are welded on my thin metal tabs. If that is the case, am I supposed to break them off?

·
Registered
428 Posts
It will.take two of u some beer and some patience the hardest part is removal u don't have to take of mid pipe like instructions say just use a lil muscle and follow directions ...good luck let us know how u like it ......I never put exhaust on either but me and my bro took 45 min to.do

1 - 20 of 104 Posts