Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my 2001 V6 Mustang's gear noise increased 10 fold. I have a sinking feeling that I'm about to dish out some money for repairs, but I don't know what kind of this might be. Can anyone offer some insite?

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
I think you're gonna have to go into more detail about what is wrong with it. i.e. what kind of noise is it making, when does it make it, etc.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
I think you're gonna have to go into more detail about what is wrong with it. i.e. what kind of noise is it making, when does it make it, etc.
Is it coming from your transmission or rear of the car?

If your grinding gears you either need transmission fluid or a rebuild. I would not drive the car until you can have the car checked out. If your low on transmission fluid your only going to make it worse.

If its coming from the rear of the car you need more rear gear fluid. I doubt this is the case but you didnt specify where it was comign from.

Let us know more details and we can see what we can do

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I could always here a little bit of gear noise that coincides with my RPMs. This sound is a much louder version of that. I notice at times the gear noise subsides, but since this past Friday it's been loud around 9 out of 11 times I've used the car. If the gear noise is load at the start of the drive, it stays loud throughout the drive. The two times it's been quiet, it remained quiet throughout the drive.

I stuck my head out of the window while driving to see if I could tell if the noise comes from the front or rear of the car and best I can tell, it SEEMS to be coming from the front or center, but I'm not positive about this.

The sound reminds me of the noise you hear on an RC racing car, but lower in pitch. I hope this helps to carrify.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a 5-speed, but no it does not happen when I shift per say. The gear noise coincides with my RPM's so it's always their but increases in intensity as I accelerate. When I shift the noise is still present but the intensity decreases as I'm not accelerating at that time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked, and the sound also present when I rev the car in neutral. A friend of mine here at work said it might be a "thruster bearing".

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
this may sound dumb, but check your power steering fluid. I had an odd noise, friend told me to do that, I flushed it, with everybody here's help :thanks:, and its all good now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice guess WhiteStang99! The power steering fluid was bone dry. I had a lupe job done about a week ago. Either they messed up somehow or I have a leak. I'll watch it over the next few weeks and see what happens. After adding new fluid the noise went away within a few miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've actually been lurking around the forums for months, since I bought my car. I just didn't have anything to contribute besides questions that have already been answered, so I never registered. =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts