Mustang Evolution Forum banner

HELP!!!! my clear coats coming off

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Bakiebruno5 
#1 ·
Any ideas anybody? Bottom of my passenger side door a fifty cent size and just above the handle about the size of a pea?

#2 ·
Well I'll say this, my friend is a highly respected motorcycle painter in Milwaukee and according to him, most cars come from the factory with the clear coat on top. He says that It should be under another layer for longevity. It may not help you out now, but if you ever get it repainted keep that in mind.

#3 · (Edited)
Your clear coat failing is because a bodyshop did a poor prep job on your car or used crappy products. A lot of shops love to just blow thru cars and don't take time to properly prep the car out. If the panel wasnt completely sanded and scuffed then majority of the time the clear will start to de-laminate from wherever it wasn't. I run a bodyshop in pa its and see a ton of cars with the same issue

#4 ·
how about a top coat coming off of a bumper, I'll probably have to get a picture but it looks like the top coat of paint or clear is coming off my rear bumper in a couple of spots, its bubling up and flaking off, but it looks like there is another coat underneath there (looks like it has clear on it) that is just fine.

#7 ·
what it looks like to me is whoever had this car before me backed into something then had it repainted or repainted it and didnt do it correctly, i'm pretty sure it wasnt in a wreck because i'm pretty sure they showed me a carfax showing it hadn't been, but then again i'm sure not everything gets reported

#9 ·
not a clue.....I was already thinking about repainting it, or sanding down and re buffing, but until I know what exactly is going on with that spot it would kinda make the others pointless. maybe sand down the bumper and repaint (do it the right way) and go from there

#12 ·
That started happening on my spoiler. Are there any sprays I could put on there to help it?

#14 ·
Just another project on the build list, honey, I have to repaint the car now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.