Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oooook, they replaced two head gaskets and the oil pump.... how much should that be??.... the bill is for $2100 :O:O:O:O.... the FORD DEALERSHIP, which is VERY high priced in our area laughed so hard they cried when they heard that, they said, dude, you got screwed... we would've been about $700, and we would've felt bad about that.... question, my dad wants to take them to small claims court for gouging him, since they didn't even ask him to do the work, just did it... how much should this cost? (he's going to get estimates tomorrow....)

·
Registered
17 Posts
replacing heads or head gaskets?!?! head gaskets is CHEAP dude... the whole thing woulda been like... probably less than 500 bucks after labor, if you ask me. 700 at the most.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just head gaskets.... and the place in Burlington would've charged him $500....

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I woulda charged 400...but then again I'm just a shadetree mechanic. That's freaking ridiculous...last time my dad had his engine rebuilt it only cost him a thousand...that's for new gaskets on everything in his engine....

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok, i just looked it up to get exact prices...

summit racing says that Fel-Pro head gaskets will run you just above 20$ a piece.
and according to summit, a ford racing HIGH VOLUME fuel pump for a 302 is $55.

so, we're talkin 95$ for parts + tax. that leaves 400 for labor if they charge you 500$. sure, 400 is reasonable, because you have to take off the heads etc etc, pain in the ass but still. also, these parts are supposedly performance aftermarket parts which should probabyl cost more than the stock ones. so yea... you got jacked on the 2100$

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you say small claims court? hahaha, he's FURIOUS

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
i dont blame him lol, just make sure you didnt sign something when you brought your car in that said they are not responsible or that they can fix whatever is wrong cuz then ur screwed because when you sign that supposedly you have a contract taht you accept the prices.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
i dont blame him lol, just make sure you didnt sign something when you brought your car in that said they are not responsible or that they can fix whatever is wrong cuz then ur screwed because when you sign that supposedly you have a contract taht you accept the prices. and your case about them not calling you saying they were gonna fix it goes down the crapper

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he didn't sign a thing other than leave them his name and number... they didn't even get his permission to pull the engine, yes, they pulled the engine. He called and that was before he asked them to do anything other than give an estimate, and they said "we've almost got the engine pulled"... and he goes "WHAT?!?!"... I said ESTIMATE... and they said, we'll we've got the parts ready to go in, we're finding out what all is wrong with it now... it took them 9 hours to pull the engine they said... just to pull, not pull and reinstall, and fix... just pull. They worked on it for a week already, and it's not done. They said he can pick it up Thursday of this week. They got it on I believe Tuesday of last week... maybe Wednesday or so

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
He's getting screwed.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
wow. that's rapage if I've ever seen it. I would make sure that they didn't make a mistake on the price or something, then ask why it is so expensive. you should get a parts+labor form to see the breakdown of cost.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my dad did get screwed, that's why he hasn't paid them yet, lol. He says he's going to get many estimates tomorrow, like 7, and take them to them and be like $2100 is F*ing RETARDED... and say, you can either drop it to this price or I'm taking you to court.... and see what comes of it

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha, I just talked to my dad, and the guy said it was $1200 in parts.... for two head gaskets and an oil pump

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
"we've almost got the engine pulled"... and he goes "WHAT?!?!"...
And the lines of communication broke down from there.

They people who are running the shops at dealers suck. My mom took her SUV to the dealer, warranty thing, to check a CEL. In 30 minutes they concluded it was a valve sticking. In the following 10 minutes, my dad made the guy feel like a jackass.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this was no dealer job... the Ford dealership would've only charged $700, which is still high... this was a hometown garage that was ''known for doing very high quality work for a reasonable price..." says the other shop in town that does Alignment, which is how we heard about them... and basically, my dad is going to court... could I get a link to those parts that were listed? The ones totalling like $95?... because that's an $1100 difference, and yeah, that's about half of what the cost was. And it'd really help to cut that $1000 off of there. and they're still over by about $500, but it's closer. Basically, my dad says they're taking him for a complete idiot. He says "I may not be a motor head, but I know how much it does, and doesn't take to replace gaskets...". He could've had a rebuilt engine put in for the amount he owes, plus a 50,000 mile warrenty... lol, not just gaskets and an oil pump... and they didn't find anythign wrong with the oil pump, just did it ''to be safe''

·
Banned
321 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
If court doesnt work... I would say an AR-15 might make them give you some money back... Just an idea -shrugs-

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AR-15?... plus, I think once they realize that we do actually kinda know how much it shoudl cost, I think they'll claim a clerical mistake, and give us a different price... but seriously, who takes more than one day to pull an engine? if that's your only job?... let's see, at $45 an hour (what they informed my dad they made AFTER they started, but weren't sure what it would be when he asked them).... times 9... that's $405 just to pull an engine?... and $405 to put it back in then I'm assuming, so that's $810 already that they shouldn't get. My auto body guy Chris pulled an engine in an hour and a half, and he doesn't do that for a living... but I guess that's why he was faster at it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts