Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Help on a carburetor choice for girlfriends 66 Mustang

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Ammermeow 
#1 ·
My girlfriends dad left her a 1966 Fastback. it has the 289 in it. I dont know much about classics so hoping someone can help. The carburetor is bad and needs replaced. Her dad has a holly in it. The shop has offered two options one more for price. They said that the Holly 600 is a better option than the Edlebrock Street Performance but the holly is $200 more. They have both there and dont care either way just offered her a cheaper option. My question is whether or not the Holly is worth the extra $200. over the $300 Edlebrock. It is a garage queen for sure. Only gets it out once every few weeks for a short drive. Opinions appreciated.

#3 ·
Stock intake. No other mods except front brakes converted to disc. total street car. Literaly will be driven a 100 miles a month on a good month. It is just her dads car and she is keeping it up for when her boys get to be 21 or so in 5 years.

#5 ·
What carb is on it? Any carb that sits that much will get gummed up pretty quick. I would check with another shop about rebuilding it. if you have a Mustang Club around you some of us older guys would be able to rebuild it. if you are close enough I would work for beer you buy parts and put a little sweat into it. To answer your question the Elderbroc is a better bet 600 CFM on a stock 289 is way to much

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#6 ·
it has a holly on it. it is all summed up. he said that was a problem she let it sit a year. said bigger reason for new though is erosion of baskets plus build up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
Well I would go the Elderbrock but around 450 max. If the rest of the engine is stock the 600 will need to be jetted down to make it work right. BA said a 390CFM works great. I have fixed many a 600CFM on these small block cars by just using smaller jets. Next if it is going to sit put an electric fuel pump on it. When you park it turn off the pump and let the engine idle until it runs out of gas. If you do this religiously and the engine is hot you will not get any build up in the carb. You have to keep a set of gaskets and O-rings to make sure if they dry out you can replace them.

#9 ·
man you guys are awesome. thanks for all this. be sun when we can drive side by side her 66 my 13

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 ·
Oh there will definitely be some! We love taking pics of cars. I have tons online on multiple sites

#12 ·
This is the best part of the site. Fun conversation and getting ideas for mine are great but the wealth of knowledge from you guys is awesome. She is going with the Edelbrock. Install done in next day or so. Thanks everyone.

#13 ·
I would rebuild the carb, pretty easy to do with a few tools and the right kit. Might want to consider a gallon can of carburetor cleaner though, depending on how long its been sitting.

#14 ·
I have had both Holley and Edelbrock on my 66 mustang. Now I only go for Edelbrock for one reason...no gaskets below fuel level. With the Holley if I let it sit too long the gaskets would go bad. It got to the point where I would just buy a rebuild kit every 6 months to change the float bowl gaskets for when I wanted to drive the car, about twice a year. Now with the edelbrock it can sit for 6 months or a year and work right whenever I choose to drive the car.

Edelbrock was the right choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.