Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new to the whole forums and what not but i got a couple questions.
So i just bought a 1997 Mustang GT with 116,000 on the motor...i installed a CAI already which helped really well, and i did a muffler delete and got 2.5 inch pipes from catback and 3 inch tips...thats all ive done so far. It is a 5 speed and the car runs beautiful. Now i just want to know what can i do next in terms of modification in order to do it right and get the most power gains, any advice will be helpful. I was thinking longtube headers and off road x pipe. Let me know what mods i can do next. I also just sanded and primered down the car myself and am taking it into paint soon and just bought some bullitts for it (deep dish on rears :headbang:) also in opinions, should i rock the no spoiler look or saleen spoiler? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hey im new to the whole forums and what not but i got a couple questions.
So i just bought a 1997 Mustang GT with 116,000 on the motor...i installed a CAI already which helped really well, and i did a muffler delete and got 2.5 inch pipes from catback and 3 inch tips...thats all ive done so far. It is a 5 speed and the car runs beautiful. Now i just want to know what can i do next in terms of modification in order to do it right and get the most power gains, any advice will be helpful. I was thinking longtube headers and off road x pipe. Let me know what mods i can do next. I also just sanded and primered down the car myself and am taking it into paint soon and just bought some bullitts for it (deep dish on rears :headbang:) also in opinions, should i rock the no spoiler look or saleen spoiler? Thanks!
do a full pi swap and u'll love it:love:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Put mufflers back on the car and take the cats off..
Where I live cats w/ no mufflers is chevy pick up thing and sounds like ass.. Car should run better w/o cats, and w/ mufflers..

·
Registered
711 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Put mufflers back on the car and take the cats off..
Where I live cats w/ no mufflers is chevy pick up thing and sounds like ass.. Car should run better w/o cats, and w/ mufflers..
You could put the muffs back on and hollow them out too. It creates a awesome tone that will have you loving to rev over 3k lol if you really want to creat performance the easiest......wait for it............. Get a tuner from American muscle. It's the most purchased item for a reason. It combined with rear gears will have you ripping from light to light faster then you've even been and having you love your car more and more. Pi swaps are nice but for your current level I'd worry about a few things before doing some major mods like that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
t0t4lbl4ck0ut said:
You could put the muffs back on and hollow them out too. It creates a awesome tone that will have you loving to rev over 3k lol if you really want to creat performance the easiest......wait for it............. Get a tuner from American muscle. It's the most purchased item for a reason. It combined with rear gears will have you ripping from light to light faster then you've even been and having you love your car more and more. Pi swaps are nice but for your current level I'd worry about a few things before doing some major mods like that.
+1

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Hers ppl say the plastic on the K&N's crack. That being the case I'd go with an aluminum or stainless steel one. Have had two Mac brand ones with no complaints with fit, upkeep or durability.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've never heard of the k&n cracking. Plus you don't want a metal intake cause it heats up your cold air as in travels down the heated metal tubing thus meaning its not a cold air intake anymore

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Umm.. Do some searching.. Several ppl in this forum have had that issue. Anything under the hood will get hot, anything.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Besides the fact that every other major brand uses some kind of metal.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Umm.. Do some searching.. Several ppl in this forum have had that issue. Anything under the hood will get hot, anything.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Besides the fact that every other major brand uses some kind of metal.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes underwood heat will heat up everything, but metal retains the heat and keeps getting hotter until it reaches the same heat as the heating source. The plastic ones don't do that. That's why plastic ones tend to be more expensive. They do a better job of what they are supposed to do.

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Underhood

·
Registered
19 Posts
JLT cold air kit, tuner, throttle body, upper plenum, pulleys, and a good MAF. You will make some good power there until you are ready to do a good set of heads and cams.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've never heard of the k&n cracking. Plus you don't want a metal intake cause it heats up your cold air as in travels down the heated metal tubing thus meaning its not a cold air intake anymore
As deadsp0t said anything under the hood will get warm. but a metal intake will not bake the air in the tube because there is constant air flow. That constant cold air flow keeps the pipe cool during operation.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Shifter, throttle body/plenum, tune, H or X pipe, headers (but your gonna want some mufflers on it for sure... or your gonna rattle your house apart when you start it...) Definitely the shifter tho. And the tuner from American Muscle is a great buy with their free tunes for life. The PI swap is a great idea if you have the money for it and find a good deal. Good gains to be had there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts