Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks ago my car started making a loud grinding/squeaking sound when the wheel would cut too far to the side, or if i go over a bump in the road. It comes from the front drivers side wheel well. Or in that general area, cannot really pinpoint it. It has gotten to the point of being terrible, and i'm pissed off because i just bought the car last month. SO, if any of you fellas would like to get me started on the right path to fixing this, i would thank you kindly. P.S. i might be able to get a video of the squeaking/grinding tomorrow if absolutely necessary, like i said if i cut the wheel even a little bit, it gets extremely loud, or when the car bounces. It had previously been squealing when i would exit the car also. Thanks guys. Also i know there was just a thread on this. And i did not want to thread jack his thread, plus i couldn't find it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Few weeks ago my car started making a loud grinding/squeaking sound when the wheel would cut too far to the side, or if i go over a bump in the road. It comes from the front drivers side wheel well. Or in that general area, cannot really pinpoint it. It has gotten to the point of being terrible, and i'm pissed off because i just bought the car last month. SO, if any of you fellas would like to get me started on the right path to fixing this, i would thank you kindly. P.S. i might be able to get a video of the squeaking/grinding tomorrow if absolutely necessary, like i said if i cut the wheel even a little bit, it gets extremely loud, or when the car bounces. It had previously been squealing when i would exit the car also. Thanks guys. Also i know there was just a thread on this. And i did not want to thread jack his thread, plus i couldn't find it.
Hmmm..sounds like bearings i would just need a pic rather then video to help

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slow4V said:
Sounds like powersteering pump

It's on driver side too
See, i had that sneaking suspicion also, but would it make the sound after hitting a bump also? I was also able to recreate the sound by pushing on the front fender. Not even that hard actually. The car will be parked until i can get it to a shop. Luckily tomorrow is payday. Hopefully it won't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. Any of you gentlemen want to throw out a rough estimate as to what this may cost to repair? I'm not looking for an exact amount. Just a rough estimate.

·
Registered
784 Posts
See, i had that sneaking suspicion also, but would it make the sound after hitting a bump also? I was also able to recreate the sound by pushing on the front fender. Not even that hard actually. The car will be parked until i can get it to a shop. Luckily tomorrow is payday. Hopefully it won't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. Any of you gentlemen want to throw out a rough estimate as to what this may cost to repair? I'm not looking for an exact amount. Just a rough estimate.
Easy way to tell the difference is park the car and turn the steering ...if there's no noise then drive it and.then turn the steering and if it makes noise then its bearings.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Everything your explaining is what i got going on. When I'm parked i do the same pushing on the fender i greased everything up i could and it went away came back maybe a day later ,if you find out please let me know id really appreciate it man

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rich04 said:
Everything your explaining is what i got going on. When I'm parked i do the same pushing on the fender i greased everything up i could and it went away came back maybe a day later ,if you find out please let me know id really appreciate it man
Your thread is the thread i didn't want to jack. LOL. And also, i can be at a stand still, turn the wheel, and it will creak. I can roll a bit, and it will creak. Hell, sometimes if i accelerate too hard it will creak. /:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your thread is the thread i didn't want to jack. LOL. And also, i can be at a stand still, turn the wheel, and it will creak. I can roll a bit, and it will creak. Hell, sometimes if i accelerate too hard it will creak. /:
Yeah i hada feeling, all the same here i haven't even had time to check it out, I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and if i find my problem ill let you know for sure!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
monkey13 said:
Is it a creak or a whining noise??
It is like a loud creak. Like straight up rusty door hinge creak. At least thats what it sounds like to me.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Rich04 said:
Yeah i hada feeling, all the same here i haven't even had time to check it out, I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and if i find my problem ill let you know for sure!
And same for you, if i end up finding out what this annoyance is, i will let you know aswell. I might get a chance to look at the car tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well an update. I work long hours on weekends and don't have time to look at the car. My dad is a retired mechanic of 40+ years, so i had him look at it for me. He cannot tell if it's a ball joint or one of the struts. But he did notice that the ball joints aren't grease-able? In my V6 they were. Sohe's guessing that they went bad previously, and were replaced. So i'm going to bring it to a local mechanic. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oem balljoints in mustang are non greasble. Replacements usually are. There is a good possibility your noise is ball joints but also check your sway bar bushings and end links. These are all very common to go bad on these cars and most fords in general

·
Registered
404 Posts
My lower ball joints just went bad on both sides a week ago. I went with MOOG grease fitted ball joints and with labor/parts and alignment was 400$ ..my car was squeaking and creaking when going over even the smallest bumps and would hear at low speeds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts