Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving in third and fourth I'm starting to get some chattering. If anybody knows what this could be please let me know

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Driving in third and fourth I'm starting to get some chattering. If anybody knows what this could be please let me know
Maybe it's just cold and its teeth are chattering? :D

Seriously, have you checked the fluid level?
Possibly wear, how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid level is good it has 62000 miles and it only does it in 3rd and 4th even when car is fully warmed up.

And lol about the teeth chattering

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
1999roush said:
Fluid level is good it has 62000 miles and it only does it in 3rd and 4th even when car is fully warmed up.

And lol about the teeth chattering
Had a friend with a similar issue in a 97' GT. then I started popping out of gear and eventually broke and would not stay in gear at all. Car was in the 80k mile range I think. He beat the hell out of that car all the time.
Does it ever grind going in gear, any gear in any situation?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deadsp0t said:
Had a friend with a similar issue in a 97' GT. then I started popping out of gear and eventually broke and would not stay in gear at all. Car was in the 80k mile range I think. He beat the hell out of that car all the time.
Does it ever grind going in gear, any gear in any situation?
Never grinds going into gears always smooth never pops out of gear. Only when I'm accelerating it does it. Car has not been abused rarely sees over 3000rpm

·
Registered
185 Posts
If it were me I would just take it to a couple of transmission shops for a free estimate just to rule anything else like U-joints out as they will cause you to shimmy and shake in those gears. And lord for bid it is an internal tranny Issue I would drain and refill it adding lucas transmission treatment befor just throwing in the towl. that stuff is wonderful. good luck

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Never grinds going into gears always smooth never pops out of gear. Only when I'm accelerating it does it. Car has not been abused rarely sees over 3000rpm
That sounds like maybe a bearing in the transmission is going out or possibly the clutch is slipping a bit in higher gears.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I've heard synchronizers give problems in those gears .......I wonder if that could be it
I guess it is possible, but I would expect you to see other problems first, like grinding or difficult to get into gear.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I guess I could wait till it flies apart and then I would definitely know what it is lol
Yeah, that's always an option, but if your luck is anything like mine it will do so at the most inopportune time possible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trojan Horse said:
Yeah, that's always an option, but if your luck is anything like mine it will do so at the most inopportune time possible.
I'm dropping it off at the paint shop Monday so ........... probably the next week I will take it around and get a few estimates. Just out of curiosity how much HP and torque is a t45 good for

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I'm dropping it off at the paint shop Monday so ........... probably the next week I will take it around and get a few estimates. Just out of curiosity how much HP and torque is a t45 good for
They don't supply HP just torque ratings.
They are good for around 325 ft lbs.
Web Page - TREMEC T45

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
for manual the tko 600 would be able to take the 420 ftlbs of torque your making
+1 The TKO 600 would be my first choice. :good::good:
Anything stronger than that would likely have to be specially built.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts