Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I’m a new member with 2012 Gt mt82. I bought the car 5 years ago with 70k miles and it now has 113k. Lately my shifts have been a little clunky, especially when it’s cold. My question is - should I change the trans fluid to see if smooths things out?? Like I said I bought the car with 70k miles and I don’t know if was ever changed. I’ve never changed it since owning the car. I asked a mechanic here in town and they said if it’s never been changed to change it now could actually do more harm then good. Please share your wisdom. I’m not very mechanical. Thanks so much ✌

·
Administrator
1,433 Posts
I asked a mechanic here in town and they said if it’s never been changed to change it now could actually do more harm than good.
The MT82 is a 6-speed (M)anual (T)ransmission not an automatic. Are you sure you have an MT82?

·
Administrator
1,433 Posts
If you have a manual, then change the fluid if you like. I believe there is an additive that Ford recommends, so be sure to get that if applicable. It may not help your shifting issues, but it shouldn’t hurt anything either. High-mileage warnings are generally for the automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree, change the fluid. The MT82 was never a great transmission to start with, I have had 2 of them and refused to buy a Mustang with another one so I got the 10R80 automatic which I like in my 3rd Mustang. I do however miss the manual and wish Ford would give us the option to order a Tremic in the GT. They put them in the GT350, GT500 and Mach 1 and it probably will go in the Dark Horse also. I want the Tremic in the GT even if I have to pay $500 extra for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts