Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See:

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/steeda-cai-manual-1112.pdf

"Removing factory airbox" - step 4 - see the two holes with the rubber grommets? I need these and don't have them ... the dealer installed a Roush CAI that has plastic feet that stick down in the holes.

Is this a show stopper or can I rig something up and try and buy the parts from Ford and install later?

Not sure what to do ... I don't have the factory air box.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
See:

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/steeda-cai-manual-1112.pdf

"Removing factory airbox" - step 4 - see the two holes with the rubber grommets? I need these and don't have them ... the dealer installed a Roush CAI that has plastic feet that stick down in the holes.

Is this a show stopper or can I rig something up and try and buy the parts from Ford and install later?

Not sure what to do ... I don't have the factory air box.
Mike87,

You can definitely throw your new CAI on and rig something up to fill those holes. However just to insure everything is installed probably I would order the missing parts from the dealer!

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ... I actually have the factory shifter bracket ... that stiff foam rubber from that piece can be cut to fit the holes ... I think I'll try that.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Mike87,

You can definitely throw your new CAI on and rig something up to fill those holes. However just to insure everything is installed probably I would order the missing parts from the dealer!

-Dan
Thanks Dan!

·
Banned
228 Posts
AMDanBailer said:
Mike87,

-Dan
Never Micky mouse anything, just put on recommended parts
I've learned the hardway :(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fancy grommets brother, fancy grommets
No, screws that hold the intake together. 10-32's - looks like someone threw two 8-32's in the bag in place of two of the 10's.

Made a trip to Lowes, rigged something for the missing grommets using pieces cut from the stock shifter bracket (repurposed!) and uploaded the new Steeda tune.

Drove it a few miles - no problems. How much of a difference over the Roush intake ... not sure yet. From a rolling start in 1st floored it and broke the back ties loose easily with 3.31's ... but it may have done that previously. I don't spin out much despite really, really wanting to.

The new tune is a 91 tune that uses the factor adaptive strategy to account for 93 ... so I was told. I guess they don't provide explicit 93 tunes anymore.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

Never Micky mouse anything, just put on recommended parts
I've learned the hardway :(
Mickey mouse until next week ... I have a line on a factory airbox that I will be allowed to snag the grommets off of next weekend. So, I have a plan.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
No, screws that hold the intake together. 10-32's - looks like someone threw two 8-32's in the bag in place of two of the 10's.

Made a trip to Lowes, rigged something for the missing grommets using pieces cut from the stock shifter bracket (repurposed!) and uploaded the new Steeda tune.

Drove it a few miles - no problems. How much of a difference over the Roush intake ... not sure yet. From a rolling start in 1st floored it and broke the back ties loose easily with 3.31's ... but it may have done that previously. I don't spin out much despite really, really wanting to.

The new tune is a 91 tune that uses the factor adaptive strategy to account for 93 ... so I was told. I guess they don't provide explicit 93 tunes anymore.
Good deal! Sorry, I thought your grommets were gone. Doh!

Glad you have a temp solution. Keep an eye on it.:good:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I can tell that the weather striping is not sealing against the hood ... is this really a big deal or just hype? I would think that the "snorkel" (in absence of a better word) that feeds air to the box would displace any hotter air from the engine compartment when the vehicle is moving, and a slightly higher intake temperature at idle doesn't seem like a big concern to me. I wonder if my "rig" in absence of the proper grommets isn't sitting the box high enough?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
So, I can tell that the weather striping is not sealing against the hood ... is this really a big deal or just hype? I would think that the "snorkel" (in absence of a better word) that feeds air to the box would displace any hotter air from the engine compartment when the vehicle is moving, and a slightly higher intake temperature at idle doesn't seem like a big concern to me. I wonder if my "rig" in absence of the proper grommets isn't sitting the box high enough?
Looking at the grommets, I could see ~3/8 to 1/2 height loss without them.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
I've got an aftermarket cowl hood and the weather striping on my Steeda CAI doesn't mate up for ****. Doesn't even come close. I'm not really gonna do anything about it. I've got bigger issues to deal with.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at the grommets, I could see ~3/8 to 1/2 height loss without them.
Yeah, the rubber I used is probably 1/4" or less. I should hopefully have the correct grommets weekend after next.

But how important is the hood seal, really? Seems like the air coming in through the intake tube would keep cold air coming into the box.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Yeah, the rubber I used is probably 1/4" or less. I should hopefully have the correct grommets weekend after next.

But how important is the hood seal, really? Seems like the air coming in through the intake tube would keep cold air coming into the box.
Heck, it's possible none of those actually meet up with the hood and seal with the shield. Having it sealed could definitely keep heat out, but I'm not sure how much would really come through that small of an area. The air will follow the path of least resistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts