Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 98 V6 theres a viper alarm system on it set up by the previous owner. Just recently the alarm wont make sound, but it still works. Not really much point if theres no sound tho in my opinion. Anyway Im guessing the small speaker went bad so thats why it doesnt work correctly. Problem is I cannot find out where the alarm is installed. I feel like I looked everywhere under the hood and I cant find it. I was planning on connecting the wires on the alarm system to the battery to see if its just the speaker. I know viper is common so Im hoping someone else is familiar with em and can help out. many thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Could be mounted anywhere...it all depends on the installer.
I've seen everything from dangling under the bumper to under the dash.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bought my car it had one and in the glove box i found all the paper work for it and a certificate for a lifetime warranty.. check if they left anything..

Also mine had papers from everything that was done so i know the previous owner took care of that car like a baby but not everyone is like that

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Also about the location mine is under my dash i think and the little horn is under the hood drivers side

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Somewhere in the engine bay is the most common. Inside a fender, inside a bumper. But yeah, contact the previous owner if you can. Or try and trace the wires yourself

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mine is in the engine bay on the driver side, look around and see if you find it try to follow wires coming out of the hole in the fire wall and check in your fenders

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be alot easier to find if the stupid alarm would actually make sound... It's stuck on silent or valet or something so that doesn't help any. Is it possible that the siren went dead? I have the manual online and followed all the steps to get in and out of silent and valet mode and it still won't make a single chirp

·
Registered
876 Posts
anthonys98 said:
It would be alot easier to find if the stupid alarm would actually make sound... It's stuck on silent or valet or something so that doesn't help any. Is it possible that the siren went dead? I have the manual online and followed all the steps to get in and out of silent and valet mode and it still won't make a single chirp
Has it worked before? Maybe there is no siren:eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has it worked before? Maybe there is no siren:eek:
Yeah that's the thing, it always worked ever since I had the car. Then one day I noticed it was really soft, then the next day it was totally silent and it's been that ever since

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Me, Me, Me....I got a Viper on my 93 Grand Prix. What was the question again?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me, Me, Me....I got a Viper on my 93 Grand Prix. What was the question again?
No sound. It worked fine and then all the sudden stopped. Im thinking maybe the speaker went dead? or maybe its stuck In a weird mode? I don't see the point of an alarm if it won't make noise..

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
No sound. It worked fine and then all the sudden stopped. Im thinking maybe the speaker went dead? or maybe its stuck In a weird mode? I don't see the point of an alarm if it won't make noise..
Just kidding. Have your run through and puddles lately? That Is likely the problem, speaker full of water and it shorts out. $30-$40 to fix it.l

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It should be underneath the drivers dash. If nothing else you will find the duel impact shock sensor attached to the steering rod. The speaker is usually mounted to the fire wall. It would be a noob install, but it could be under the fender.
It looks like a small black box and usually has a L.E.D. The first impact is the warning which gives the alarm one chirp. The second impact causes the alarm to go off. iT IS ALWAYS ATTACHED TO THE STEERING COLUM. That is why the front of your car is more sensitive than the rear.
Most alarms need to be professionally installed because they do not come with wiring diagrams

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It should be underneath the drivers dash. If nothing else you will find the duel impact shock sensor attached to the steering rod. The speaker is usually mounted to the fire wall. It would be a noob install, but it could be under the fender.
It looks like a small black box and usually has a L.E.D. The first impact is the warning which gives the alarm one chirp. The second impact causes the alarm to go off. iT IS ALWAYS ATTACHED TO THE STEERING COLUM. That is why the front of your car is more sensitive than the rear.
Most alarms need to be professionally installed because they do not come with wiring diagrams
Thanks alot that helps. Hopefully I can find it and fix it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts