Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 mustang (dark shadow grey, mineral grey) and I am very torn between black, machined, and chrome. also, I don't know what backspacing or specific spec I need to be looking at. any help is great as this is my first car and my first time buying wheels!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Welcome to MEVO. I would suggest going onto a website like American Muscle and look at the customer supplied pictures of different wheel setups, or just google your car and look at what comes up. Find something you like that way. I'm a fan of chrome, others black, etc. It's a personal choice really, like the best sounding exhaust. Wheel specs will depend on what size wheels and tires you intend on buying.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Whatever wheel you are eventually thinking about applying to your car......pay attention to the new wheel’s weight. I ruined the performance of our 2008 base Corvette by putting on some very pretty chrome wheels that were only about 12 pounds heavier than the stock wheels each. Hurt my mpg by about 2, and acceleration off the line —- I could no longer “chirp” the tires from a standstill, even if I power braked it. Those wheels turned the car into a slug. It’s called rotational inertia....and it’s SIGNIFICANT when it comes to adding unsprung weight like a heavier wheel.
Take my word for it — the lighter the wheel the better. Also, lighter wheels are going to be more expensive, but still worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to MEVO. I would suggest going onto a website like American Muscle and look at the customer supplied pictures of different wheel setups, or just google your car and look at what comes up. Find something you like that way. I'm a fan of chrome, others black, etc. It's a personal choice really, like the best sounding exhaust. Wheel specs will depend on what size wheels and tires you intend on buying.
I was hoping to stay away from the mustang wheels everybody has(saleens, cobras, bullits,fr500s)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You could always go with a 10th Anniversary Cobra wheel or a set of Rovos.

(Revvv-AKA The 2V King per Recon)

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Not sure what you budget is although this company makes some of the lightest wheels around and you don't see these designs every time you stop at a stop light.
In my opinion "black" wheels have been done to death, and you see them on everything from Honda's to Corvettes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My buddy has silver on his 2000 mineral grey gt, very sharp. Titanium/Gunmetal also looks great on your color. Black not so much, chrome is retro look IMO. Weight is also important, go with rotary forge if you can afford.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be careful about 10” wheels on the rear. You will need at least 295/ tires and roll the wheel well for clearance. I presently run 295/35 18 tires on 10” wide wheels at stock ride height without rolled wheelwells but I plan on rolling them soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts