Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changed my oil the other day, was just checking for leaks and noticed this! What is this? Why is there no screw cap? Is it supposed to be like that? I have a PS noise when turning my wheel could this be it? Sorry with all the bombarded questions but im worried and anxious now..Also it appears there's some oil on my oil filter, but its tight and so is the drain bolt..could it be something splashing up from that hole? When I changed my oil it was a tad messy because it was my first time, Id imagine the cap wasnt there to begin with and old oil got in there when I made the mess, possible it pooled in there and from bumpy roads that's where the oil came from on the side of the oil filter

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
Changed my oil the other day, was just checking for leaks and noticed this! What is this? Why is there no screw cap? Is it supposed to be like that? I have a PS noise when turning my wheel could this be it? Sorry with all the bombarded questions but im worried and anxious now..Also it appears there's some oil on my oil filter, but its tight and so is the drain bolt..could it be something splashing up from that hole?
It looks like there should be one.. Your oil has nothing to do with ps so that's a bit weird

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like there should be one.. Your oil has nothing to do with ps so that's a bit weird
When I changed my oil I made a bit of a mess (first oil change in any car ever haha), so I'm guessing old oil dropped into that hole and from bumpy roads it splashed up hence the tad bit of oil on the oil filter

·
Registered
787 Posts
When I changed my oil I made a bit of a mess (first oil change in any car ever haha), so I'm guessing old oil dropped into that hole and from bumpy roads it splashed up hence the tad bit of oil on the oil filter
That is possible oil is funny when it falls it goes everywhere. So spray so degreaser wash it up and see if it comes back

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is possible oil is funny when it falls it goes everywhere. So spray so degreaser wash it up and see if it comes back
First thing in the morning..but still must figure out what the hell that empty hole is with threads on it..

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone? Looking to get this taken care of tomorrow in my day of

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That screw is to the rack and pinion. Dont mess with it as that is where the pinion gear meshes with the rack. If its leaking power steering from there then your rack is goin bad

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That screw is to the rack and pinion. Dont mess with it as that is where the pinion gear meshes with the rack. If its leaking power steering from there then your rack is goin bad
Okay just gonna clean it up tomorro morning, spray it down with a degreaser and wash it

·
Lorraine's driver
8,214 Posts
View attachment 86290
Here's mine.

I'm pretty sure mine leaks sometimes. It is wet with clear hydraulic fluid sometimes. No noises that I can hear yet, but I don't think they leak unless there is something up on the inside. My car only has 42,800 miles. I beginning to think the racks on these Mustangs is not too robust. :(

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Here's mine.

I'm pretty sure mine leaks sometimes. It is wet with clear hydraulic fluid sometimes. No noises that I can hear yet, but I don't think they leak unless there is something up on the inside. My car only has 42,800 miles. I beginning to think the racks on these Mustangs is not too robust. :(
I'm having a leak on my sang as well and can not for the life of me pinpoint it and now I'm thinking that it might be this. If so I hope this isn't an expensive or tedious repair :(

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Changed my oil the other day, was just checking for leaks and noticed this! What is this? Why is there no screw cap? Is it supposed to be like that? I have a PS noise when turning my wheel could this be it? Sorry with all the bombarded questions but im worried and anxious now..Also it appears there's some oil on my oil filter, but its tight and so is the drain bolt..could it be something splashing up from that hole? When I changed my oil it was a tad messy because it was my first time, Id imagine the cap wasnt there to begin with and old oil got in there when I made the mess, possible it pooled in there and from bumpy roads that's where the oil came from on the side of the oil filter
OP I also have a trickle of oil the comes from the oil filter area, at first I thought it was the filter but with 4 oil changes now I know that is not the case so my only guess is that maybe it's my oil filler neck where the filter screws on, maybe this could be your problem too

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm having a leak on my sang as well and can not for the life of me pinpoint it and now I'm thinking that it might be this. If so I hope this isn't an expensive or tedious repair :(

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

OP I also have a trickle of oil the comes from the oil filter area, at first I thought it was the filter but with 4 oil changes now I know that is not the case so my only guess is that maybe it's my oil filler neck where the filter screws on, maybe this could be your problem too
Be sure to check good cause i thought my leak before was from the oil pan and it ended up being from the oil cooler. If anything it may be old school but smell the oil......power steering is tranny oil so motor oil and tranny oil have different smells and tastes....like i said old school.....however atleast u can pinpoint what oil is leaking first. If your having power steering noises then check the power steering level. It may be a pressure hose that is leaking if anything

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
When you took your oil filter off the oil drained out and into that ps cap and pooled up there. It will happen every time you change your oil unless you place a funnel under the oil filter to keep from making a mess.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you took your oil filter off the oil drained out and into that ps cap and pooled up there. It will happen every time you change your oil unless you place a funnel under the oil filter to keep from making a mess.
Thank you I realized that today haha, put the car on ramps, got under and scrubbed away with a rag and a can of degreaser, clean up any oily mess and cleaned out that ps cap..went for a cruise and drove it pretty hard for a bit, came back and no more oil or anything underneath, all clean now :)..thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts