Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an old problem but 1st time bringing it up
My car has hard time starting after I drive it
I come home for work go put gas then it doesn't start for at least an hour or until it cools down

·
Banned
422 Posts
Does it seem to run worse after you drive it for awhile? I had a similar issue with an old ranger. The TFI module on the distributor can get hot and cause loss of spark, which will prevent it from starting. It could also be running really rich and is flooding the cylinders. Check the spark plugs and see if they are wet with fuel.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it seem to run worse after you drive it for awhile? I had a similar issue with an old ranger. The TFI module on the distributor can get hot and cause loss of spark, which will prevent it from starting. It could also be running really rich and is flooding the cylinders. Check the spark plugs and see if they are wet with fuel.
One time u was idling at a drive thru for a good 30 min I was driving for about 45-1hr n the car wanted to die if I wouldn't have gave it some gas
I bought a new TFI ill change it 2morrow let see what happens

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, I'm still learning; as i was saying, if that doesn't fix it, try removing the idle bypass valve and cleaning it with a good spray cleaner. Also do the same with the mass airflow sensor.
This has always worked for most idle problems fast or slow erratic or hardstart

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I'm still learning; as i was saying, if that doesn't fix it, try removing the idle bypass valve and cleaning it with a good spray cleaner. Also do the same with the mass airflow sensor.
This has always worked for most idle problems fast or slow erratic or hardstart
I just cleaned the maf
Where is the idle bypass valve.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It bolts to the side of the throtttle body, be careful with the gasket it can be dilicate.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

I just cleaned the maf
Where is the idle bypass valve.?
Its on the side of the throttlebody opposite of the throttle position sensor, two bolts, easy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It bolts to the side of the throtttle body, be careful with the gasket it can be dilicate.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Its on the side of the throttlebody opposite of the throttle position sensor, two bolts, easy
Is it the IAC if so I jus bought a new one

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just fyi most parts that could be suspect are testable. i wouldnt just keep buying parts everytime someone suggests something. to me it sounds ignition related though.
Can it be the coil.?
The only thing I've bought is the IAC cause I broke the one I cleaned by tightening it to much n I jus cleaned the maf
I both the Tfi cause it was cheap

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Vazqueza90 said:
Can it be the coil.?
The only thing I've bought is the IAC cause I broke the one I cleaned by tightening it to much n I jus cleaned the maf
I both the Tfi cause it was cheap
Yes it could be the coil. If it is old its ok to replace that anyways also. There maybe a test for it in the sticky section. You can pick up an msd for around 30$ at most local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes it could be the coil. If it is old its ok to replace that anyways also. There maybe a test for it in the sticky section. You can pick up an msd for around 30$ at most local auto parts stores.
So I changed my coil today to a 8227 msd i bought off my friends cousin according to him it was new but it had a rough idle and i felt like it lost some power
So I went to buy a stock one from autozone
It feels better at idle but I still noticed a little power loss
My dad and brother also switched the TFI while I was at work could they have possibly moved the timing when they put everything back together.?

Here's the old one I took off first

Attachments

·
Banned
422 Posts
Im suprised that coil worked at all lol. If they had to move the distributor at all while changing the tfi they could have easily messed the timing up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im suprised that coil worked at all lol. If they had to move the distributor at all while changing the tfi they could have easily messed the timing up.
The inside of the spark plug cable has corrosion as well should I clean it or replace it..
My cables are 8mm blue accel cAn the msd coil be to powerful for them.?
I'm going to have my time adjusted

·
Banned
422 Posts
The inside of the spark plug cable has corrosion as well should I clean it or replace it..
My cables are 8mm blue accel cAn the msd coil be to powerful for them.?
I'm going to have my time adjusted
I would replace the wires too. It sounds like they have been on there for awhile.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Im not sure if you can buy just a single wire but i might be wrong. Personally the first thing i do to a recently purchased vehicle is a tune up, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Unless i know for a fact they are fairly new.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's like if the batteries dead but when they push start me it turns on

1 - 20 of 66 Posts