Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo my car keeps dying. I need a jump every time i start my car. And my voltage gauge is only reading 11 when driving. Im not sure if i have me alternator hooked up right so any one with a l6 with a alternator not a generator post a pick of the back of it and what color wires come out would be really help full! But is my battery bad too? Or is it just because im not producing enough to charge my battery? Im at a loss i have a new regulator and all new wiring so thats not the problem

·
Registered
161 Posts
ok first you should have between 13.5 and 15 volts when the engine is running, if not then likely you have a dead alternator. take the car to your local auto parts store and have them check the charging system, and do a load test on your battery as well.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i found some wiring diagrams so is some one could tell me where the wires connect on their alt that would be great!!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soo i still havent gotten it figured out... My battery and alternator have been tested and both passed i changed up my wiring and still nothing... If i unhook my battery while the car is running and it shuts off is the alternator suppose to support the engine ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes the alternator should support the engine with the battery disconnected.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thats the problem its not factory wiring i got a painless wiring harness and all it had was a wire to go to the stator on the voltage regulator and thats it. I have all the wiring diagrams that i need for stock wiring i just cant decipher it

·
Registered
509 Posts
Does the Painless diagram give a description of what each wire does? Maybe we can compare to what the factory wires did.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts