Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 mustang gt for some reason the brake switch keeps melting do anyone no why this is happening and is there a way I can fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
That will make the connectors melt

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
It should cause a fuse to blow, but the fuse is not catching the short. It could also be a loose connection that is fighting to transmit the power needed to trigger the brake lights.

The connectors are melting due to them overheating the melting point of the plastic (you already know this). How long between replacement of the connector is the problem occurring? If it is gradual I would look at the connection itself. If the plastic is melting rapidly you have a larger problem in regard to a short and a problem in the fuse box that is allowing the short to bypass the popping feature of the fuse.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
check your fuse size.....what should it be? If someone upgraded it since it was popping it can cause the switch to melt. I agree with Rev as there is a short, but it may be only partially shorted and not enough to pop the fuse but the extra amp draw is melting the fuse.

after sizing the fuse properly I would disconnect both brake lights and depress the brake for 10 minutes (or till switch gets hot or blows fuse) then one at a time hook up lights and repeat. this is a good start and by going in this direction you may be able to find problem.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
check your fuse size.....what should it be? If someone upgraded it since it was popping it can cause the switch to melt. I agree with Rev as there is a short, but it may be only partially shorted and not enough to pop the fuse but the extra amp draw is melting the fuse.

after sizing the fuse properly I would disconnect both brake lights and depress the brake for 10 minutes (or till switch gets hot or blows fuse) then one at a time hook up lights and repeat. this is a good start and by going in this direction you may be able to find problem.
I'm glad you came along. I made a simple problem sound difficult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts