Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, first off I'd like to say hey. I'm new to this forum so i really don't knwo anybody yet, lol. Anyway, I'm driving a stock 2002 V6 with a manual transmission. I'm looking to get a new exhaust system for my car and just have a few questions.

1. The exhaust system I'm looking at is the Magnaflow system that they make for the V6. On the directly from Magnaflow they want about 600 for it, but on www.rpmoutlet.com they want 367 for it after tax and what-not. The system bolts on directly to the stock Y pipe (which I don't mind because I don't ever plan on adding a turbo or supercharger anytime soon). What do you guys think of Magnaflow? What do you think of systems that bolt directly to the "y" pipe.

2. What do you guys think of GT take offs in terms of both sound and performance? What kind of hp/torque gains have those of you that have take offs noticed(if you've dyno'd your car afterwards)? How would take offs compare to the Magnaflow system I've mentioned above? Also, what kind of prices would I be looking at if I went with the GT-take offs. I honestly haven't researched GT-take offs so any detailed info that you guys could give would be appreciated :).

Also, keep in mind I probably won't be adding a supercharger or turbo....and I still have about 16,000 miles and a year left on my warranty, lol.

P.S. would a CAI void my warranty? Also, I've found some cheap ones on E-bay(30 - 60 bucks) what do you think of these?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
http://v6stangs.mustang-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5015

There you go for the gt takes offs.

Personally I would take the gt take offs. They are stainless steel and true dual exaust.

I would never put a dual set up on my car that bolts to the existing y pipe. Thats just me tho

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I haev a mac cat back on my car, that uses the y pipe. If i was going to do it again, i would have saved some money by getting the GT take offs and what ever mufflers.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's what I have on my car, GT dual exhaust takeoff except I'm not using the OEM GT mufflers, I put two stainless steel Magnaflow XL mufflers on. That's what I'd recommend doing.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
yes those ebay cais are good there the same as macs ur just payin for the mac name...also the filter is smaller but u will get the same gains from it... when buying tho make sure the person has alot of feedback for them...dont wanna get scammed o and btw welcome

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ihad a muffler shop here cut out the y pipe and install 2 40 series mufflers by flowmaster. Cost $378 w/ tax. It sounds pretty good and I've been told by friends that have GT's that is doesnt sound that much different than theirs.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I went with an exhaust shop and got 2x1/2in piping into dual glasspack mufflers with 3.5x18in chrome tips and got it all done for like 230-240 and all I get is compliments on how mean it sounds. Although when I start getting into the performance stuff seriously i'm going to me getting a magnaflo system. Right now they have the best performance gains out of any of the systems. If thats your goal then get it. If you just want exhaust for the sound then get an exhaust shop to do it for you or get the gt takeoffs.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Hey sonic, how those glasspacks sound? I'm thinking bout putting dual glasspacks on my car here soon...just can't decide. Where is madison by the way..I'm just across the state line here in MS

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the "y" pipe magnaflow system would be alright? Well, assuming I wouldn't want to get a supercharger or turbo? Also, if there is any way I could cut off my stock "y" pipe and replace it with an H or and X with without voiding my warranty, what would it be?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Hey brent, ppl keep popping up over there. We aught to plan a meet sometime somewhere in Bama. I'll drive a reasonable distance to meet up. Just an idea there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool

Yeah, but whta about those crazy "y" pipe bolt on systems? lol. heh. Also, if I were to decide to just buy a new H or X pipe, then can I go ahead and get pretty much any system, even if it was made for the GT or another model mustang as long as it has 2.5 inch pipes?(I don't wanna go any bigger than that)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Get a Pacemaker H adapter and you can use any system made for a GT or pre-99 Cobra.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
lowflyn said:
Hey brent, ppl keep popping up over there. We aught to plan a meet sometime somewhere in Bama. I'll drive a reasonable distance to meet up. Just an idea there.
Huntsville is a GREAT place for a meet. I know some good places we could go and snap some pics. Plus we got plenty of places to hang out.

As far as your question on the glasspacks. I LOVE them sounds better then the one's i've heard with flomasters. Not to mention half the price and louder. From a distance it almost sounds like a v8 just not quite as low toned. Sounds awesome though you can ask SpectorV he's heard it. He has flo's on his car and he said mine had a deeper tone to it.

·
Banned
321 Posts
WOW, this is a really old thread...

I believe glasspacks are 50 state legal...

If you are driving a mustang, glasspacks will probably sound like sh^t

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I love my Magnapacks... true dual exhaust is the way to go... do it right, or don't do it at all.... also, go big or go home ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts