Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe(ok) to run my mustang in 1st, 2nd and "D" gears???? N yeah is an automatic transmission...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You should use d the most, 1 an 2 are low gears, they are useful when you are going downhill at a steep incline to save your brakes from over heating or possibly failing. My wives father lives up in the mountains were there is a road that is very steep, so as soon as we head down it I throw it in 1 or 2 to save my brakes, other wise you are riding the brakes hard for over 10 very steep miles. This is in my wives Volvo, my Bullitt is a manual.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thats there original purpose but in old school trannies with shift kits everybody uses them.shifts were fun.Nothing wrong with using if thats what you like.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bullitt1075 said:
You should use d the most, 1 an 2 are low gears, they are useful when you are going downhill at a steep incline to save your brakes from over heating or possibly failing. My wives father lives up in the mountains were there is a road that is very steep, so as soon as we head down it I throw it in 1 or 2 to save my brakes, other wise you are riding the brakes hard for over 10 very steep miles. This is in my wives Volvo, my Bullitt is a manual.
Ah ok cause a friend of mine told me i could use them in a race

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Kool.... How do u do it????
1 then at 5500 or right at rev limiter cant remeber exactly i go into 2 then throw it in drive cuz tranny will shift from 2 into drive when it needs to...i think thats how i do mine

·
Registered
122 Posts
Basically when you put it in one or two the trans will not up shift until you choose the next gear. This is usefull in drag racing to hold the rpm past normal shift points and in a street race when you're doing say a rolling start from 30. You could keep it in 1 so as soon as you hit the gas you're going and not waiting to down shift back to first while that pesky standard is leaving you.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you have no advantage of doing it manually vs just putting it in drive and letting it take care of itself. I know autos suck... but thats just how it is. If you want to shift then you will just have to sell it and get a manual :(

thats what I had to do with my old 97 mustang

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ruthless said:
Basically when you put it in one or two the trans will not up shift until you choose the next gear. This is usefull in drag racing to hold the rpm past normal shift points and in a street race when you're doing say a rolling start from 30. You could keep it in 1 so as soon as you hit the gas you're going and not waiting to down shift back to first while that pesky standard is leaving you.
Kool, nice.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

SpectorV said:
you have no advantage of doing it manually vs just putting it in drive and letting it take care of itself. I know autos suck... but thats just how it is. If you want to shift then you will just have to sell it and get a manual :(

thats what I had to do with my old 97 mustang
Ohhh **** no!!!!! I love my 04 mustang and i would never trade it just to get a manual. I won a race vs my friend 98 mustang gt and is manual!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's all personal preference really. Manuals may be more fun to drive but when in terms of racing an auto is much more consistent however a manual has an extra gear which allows you to stay in power band with closer gears. And yes you generally can just put it in drive and probably run a better time in a straight line race. I assume you're driving a daily car and enjoying it at the strip too so stall converters and shift kits are probably out of the question but are a good way to smoke those manuals. ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ruthless said:
It's all personal preference really. Manuals may be more fun to drive but when in terms of racing an auto is much more consistent however a manual has an extra gear which allows you to stay in power band with closer gears. And yes you generally can just put it in drive and probably run a better time in a straight line race. I assume you're driving a daily car and enjoying it at the strip too so stall converters and shift kits are probably out of the question but are a good way to smoke those manuals. ;)
Yeah u r right :) +1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts