Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Had an HID kit installed on my 06 a few months ago. Noticed that the passenger headlight would flicker on and off when driving, shifting from (n) to drive, park to drive, etc. Eventually got tired and fed up of the flickering, just feels degrading, and had the old kit swapped out for a new one. The problem seemed to have gone away until just recently. Again, took it down to where I had them installed. Messed around with headlight and fog lamp fuses: nothing. Switched the ballast from right to left and now the left headlight flickers. It seems like it's the ballast...But the OEM headlight socket/wiring is really old so I'm thinking maybe I need to replace them?

...Just ordered a pair of LED projector headlights so I'm excited to install those.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
The ballast is shorting out because its not getting a constant 12V. I know that's the problem because I had the same problem with my 240SX. I replaced the ballast and then I got a relay kit from eBay for like $8 and its been working great for the last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
primer2tone said:
The ballast is shorting out because its not getting a constant 12V. I know that's the problem because I had the same problem with my 240SX. I replaced the ballast and then I got a relay kit from eBay for like $8 and its been working great for the last 2 years.
You have hids?!?!

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

NicholasP said:
You have hids?!?!
And yeah you definitely need a relay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may try the relay solution...I just ordered new LED projector headlights so I'm thinking about tossing aside all of the hid stuff, buying new OEM headlight sockets/wiring and just starting from scratch. If the problem persist with my new lights that is when I'll look into the relays.

Just wanted a legitimate outside answer. These damn auto shops will tell you anything...I have no electrical know-how at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts