Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not get my idle to drop below 1200 rpm. I went threw tonight and cleaned the MAF, throttle body, and IAC. I also checked my TPS voltage. My voltage is low. I can not get anymore than .89 volts out of it. Will this cause my idle to be high.
I west through and tried to do an idle reset but wouldn't go down. I actually moved the adjustment screw enough to where it wasn't even touching my throttle linkage. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When a tps sensor goes bad in my experience with the 5.0 they will idle very high, I had one go bad at a red light, replaced the TPS fixed the problem

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is really high? Also is it normal for the idle to take about 10-15 seconds to come back down after u give it gas? Mine is doing that. I cleaned the throttle body and it is still doing it b

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well they usually went sometimes well above 1,200 rpms and one went like 2,500 lol, you might also take off and clean the idle control arm that helps with a better idle too

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I can not get my idle to drop below 1200 rpm. I went threw tonight and cleaned the MAF, throttle body, and IAC. I also checked my TPS voltage. My voltage is low. I can not get anymore than .89 volts out of it. Will this cause my idle to be high.
I west through and tried to do an idle reset but wouldn't go down. I actually moved the adjustment screw enough to where it wasn't even touching my throttle linkage. Any help would be great.
You cannot just turn the idle screw and reset the idle on an EFI system. There is a procedure you have to follow. If you don't have one, pick up a Chilton or Haynes manual and follow the instructions. :good:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the procedure. Correct me if I am doing something wrong.
Disconnect negative battery cable and let sit for 30 mins.
Unhook iac plug
Reconnect battery and start engine and set idle with no accessories on
Turn off engine
Reconnect iac and start and let run 2 mins
Turn off and then restart with all accessories on and let run 2 mins
Turn off engine and now computer is reset

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I read over the procedure probably a hundred times before I actually did it. But my idle is still higher than I like it and after giving it gas it stops at about 1800 rpm and then sits there for about 10 seconds before finally going back to 1000 rpm. Any help would be great.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Here are the procedures directly from my manual.
If you cannot get the voltage you need from the TPS, maybe you have a non adjustable and you need to slot the holes.
If it is then replace the TPS.
Also check for vacuum leaks, especially around your injector o-ring seals.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts