Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I read the following quote below, which might be entirely accurate or not. I just thought I’d ask here, as I know there are high revving people on these forums.

All opinions are welcomed...

I have heard that there is an issue with the Coyote engines where extended operation over 5,000 RPM will starve the oil pump of oil; because the oil can't drain back down quickly enough from the top of the engine and the sump goes dry.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For the past few months after installing the 18 intake and headers my rev limiter on my '11 got lifted from 7,000 to 7,700. I drive it maybe once or twice a week and rev it to 75-7,700 a few times everytime I drive it. Tuner said it was completely safe to rev to 75-7700 rpm. my car also has oil pump gears which I'd recommend revving that high. Never heard of that being a problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
yeah it's better not to rev that high all the time but its "safe" in moderation. Anything under 7000 rpms though is a relatively easy task for a coyote engine. My paxton will be going on in the next couple weeks and I'm gonna ask that the limiter gets turned down a bit lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. The question is more related to extended revving as seen on an autocross track. The engine sustains high revs for more than just a burst or two. I know that quick bursts isn't going to cause the issue I described, but I'm just curious as to the validity of the quote in post #1.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Without knowing the source of "I have heard" it is difficult to determine the validity of the statement.
I have never heard of that being a inherent problem with the Coyote engine. Certainly, thousands of those engines have been flogged around road courses, drift tracks, open-road races.... Enough, that it would be common knowledge if there was a design flaw, such as that, with the Coyote engine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the person who originally posted this is an avid autocross driver, but in a 6 banger. He is very knowledgeable and respected, but I don't know where he heard it either. I was just wondering if this was a bit of a known thing that I somehow had never heard of myself.

There are some racers on the forums, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what comes back.

Thanks for your input...

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Seems like it would be the opposite, where an OHC engine could have trouble getting enough oil up through the heads at higher RPM's than not draining down through the heads. That's why I make sure to have the proper weight oil in my 4.6L 4v along with making sure it's warmed up (so the oil is warm) before I go about 3k RPM's.

I have read numerous times over the years that oil filters with faulty or improperly spec'd anti-drain back valves can create a starvation of oil at engine startup because the oil drains down out of the heads easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts