Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to remove the non functioning hood scoop on my mustang. I don't want to spend the money on a dealership or whatever and I thin doing it myself would give me better satisfaction. I've been told heating up the adhesive would work. I've also been told using fishing line would work too. Has anyone done this task before. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Put some goo gone and let it sink in for a few mins. It will make the sticky easier to remove. I used it on my fender emblems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
primer2tone said:
Here's an idea, heat, the fishing line. Boom! That just happened. :p
Lol good laugh

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Stringy said:
Put some goo gone and let it sink in for a few mins. It will make the sticky easier to remove. I used it on my fender emblems.
Thanks. It's my next project after I get the racing stripes off

·
Registered
535 Posts
Easy off oven cleaner is safe on paint and will eat adhesives.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seriously, waxed dental flow works real well, kind of like the fishing line idea but much better. Then use goo gone to remove the residual then wax. Then you've got the holes to deal with. Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
cjg4664 said:
See if you can find 3M adhesive remover. I got some for my hood scoop but I haven't used it yet. I heard its supposed to work good though.
3m adhesive remover is not safe for clear coats as it contains acetone, which will also melt the nylon fibers in a microfiber towel. I know this because of what happened to my trunk lid and tail lights when using to remove the glue from my rear spoiler. 3m did however cover the damages..

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

06GTallday said:
Want to remove the non functioning hood scoop on my mustang. I don't want to spend the money on a dealership or whatever and I thin doing it myself would give me better satisfaction. I've been told heating up the adhesive would work. I've also been told using fishing line would work too. Has anyone done this task before. Any help would be appreciated!
The idea of removing the scoop is the worst option You should just consider a take-off hood that didn't have a scoop, or heck even an aftermarket hood, as your hood will need a paint job after repairing the holes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in the midst of the exact same process on my 2005 Roush Sport GT and I'm planning on using a heat gun with a scraper attachment, but I'm planning on putting the hood scoop back on after removing vinyl stripes from the hood. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
roushcoyotepony said:
I'm in the midst of the exact same process on my 2005 Roush Sport GT and I'm planning on using a heat gun with a scraper attachment, but I'm planning on putting the hood scoop back on after removing vinyl stripes from the hood. Good luck with your project!
Easy with that heat gun, it will get hot enough to remove paint, just sayn.

·
Registered
134 Posts
tc x 4 said:
Easy with that heat gun, it will get hot enough to remove paint, just sayn.
Thanks for the advice and I'm planning on taking it super easy. It's my last resort to remove the scoop and the last of my vinyl tape stripes on my hood

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was thinking of doing the samething on my mustang removing the non functional hood scoop.... But here is my question would it be possible to remove that hood scoop and replace it with the the ram air shaker hood would this be possible or will the holes from the non functional hood scoop prevent this ??

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kochieey said:
I was thinking of doing the samething on my mustang removing the non functional hood scoop.... But here is my question would it be possible to remove that hood scoop and replace it with the the ram air shaker hood would this be possible or will the holes from the non functional hood scoop prevent this ??
The shaker wont cover all the holes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts