Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Mustang32Bill said:
I think aftermarket scoops are just 3m tape so pretty easy I would think
No they generally get bolted to the hood.

I've heard they are a pain. Because you are drilling into your hood with metal shavings going everywhere.

·
Registered
488 Posts
nosympathy said:
No they generally get bolted to the hood.

I've heard they are a pain. Because you are drilling into your hood with metal shavings going everywhere.
I only heard roush and oem you need to drill I could be wrong but I know one of the aftermarket hood scoop requires no drilling. I'm buying a roush myself and just using 3m tape to install because the side scoops and louvers only use the 3m so I'm pretty sure it will hold the hood scoop down.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Mustang32Bill said:
I only heard roush and oem you need to drill I could be wrong but I know one of the aftermarket hood scoop requires no drilling. I'm buying a roush myself and just using 3m tape to install because the side scoops and louvers only use the 3m so I'm pretty sure it will hold the hood scoop down.
The hood scoop you might be talking about is that really tiny one that was sold? Looked like the old 05-09 hood scoops that were really tiny and funny looking?

The nicer ones need to be bolted down. The side scoupes and louvers don't really get a lot of tug from the air, the hood scoop will. This is probably why they get bolted down.

Also I'd rather not have a 350$ hood scoop come free and hit my windshield and who knows who else.

·
Registered
488 Posts
nosympathy said:
The hood scoop you might be talking about is that really tiny one that was sold? Looked like the old 05-09 hood scoops that were really tiny and funny looking?

The nicer ones need to be bolted down. The side scoupes and louvers don't really get a lot of tug from the air, the hood scoop will. This is probably why they get bolted down.

Also I'd rather not have a 350$ hood scoop come free and hit my windshield and who knows who else.
This one is 3m install..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190746256341&cmd=VIDESC

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Mustang32Bill said:
Lol true.. But some 3m tape is pretty strong I would have faith in it for holding down a fiberglass scoop.
For average driving probably yes. I'd never take it on a track though without it being bolted down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Drilling holes in a hood is SCARY! Lol! But if you're careful (measure twice, drill once lol), it'll be that much more secure, and one less thing to worry about as you're driving along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We bought the side ones and chrome taillights from American Muscle using just 3m tape on them they have hood scoops you bolt and 3m just havent gotten the nerve to drill yet. found one on ebay that uses just 3m tape about 100 bucks cheeper to. im going to look at roush stuff to see what they have.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was looking at doing something like this one: 2010 2012 Ford Mustang Hood Scoop GT or V6 Unpainted MSRP $249 99 | eBay which is an OEM part. You do need to paint it, and drill holes to install, but it mentions that it comes with a template for the holes to make it a bit easier as well as the hardware. Honestly, i'd be a bit nervous drilling into the hood, but if you do it right, use the correct bit type, it should be fine. I've heard that using a painters tape or masking tape over the drill hole, then drilling through the tape instead of directly onto the painted surface can help to make a nice clean hole and reduce splintering of the paint around the hole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks folks the Roush one looks to be the best one to go with, and if its going to get painted the body shop can install it too. i can see pictures of your cars under your login
name but it doesnt show on mine. i check it in control panel and its thier you guys see it ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts