Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 08' GT Coupe Premium and it has a non-functioning hood scoop/intake on it. Can this same scoop/intake be made functional? It is an automatic transmission, 4.6L V8

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can you send a picture so people know which scoop you are referring to? Some aftermarket hoods (e.g. Cervani's) can be made functional using direct-fit aftermarket parts. Some cannot without custom fabrication. There are also Shaker kits that you can get to convert the hood into functional ram air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, thank you very much. Looking around it seems most scoops/intakes are non functional which I didn't realize. I'm not looking to supe the car up, just hate having a fake scoop. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, Timdial, I just bought one of those, too. Difference is mine is a manual transmission. I did a bunch of research, like you probably did too, and I'm reading that there's really not much you can do with that scoop. The Shaker setup would replace it, but you still need to do something with the holes in the hood left when you take the fake scoop off. One suggestion was to use some black vinyl decal trim around the edge of the Shaker hole. But the whole Shaker setup doesn't look worth it to me. You could replace the hood cheaper, I think.

You can buy a whole new hood for $ 500 (and up) with some really cool molded in scoops and heat extraction louvers, but you add $ 150 to ship it, and then you have to install it, and get it painted, I'm guessing it would be a thousand bucks minimum to go that route. Upside is that they look great, and some of those designs will supply fresh cold air to a slightly modified stock airbox, so the scoops are functional although I think the term "ram air" is stretching it a bit. Just my opinion.

I was driving mine today and thinking about some of those cool hood designs having the heat extraction louvers, located back about where the fake scoop is on our cars. I was wondering if anyone has taken one of those off, turned it 180 degrees, opened up a hole in the hood and the opening in the scoop, and turned it into a heat extractor? I haven't yet looked into whether the six holes would be covered, it's just a mental exercise at the moment. But a backwards scoop right there might suck the heat right outta that engine compartment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts