Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be getting a hood scoop in a couple days and was wondering if could install it myself or take it to a pro, also do you just use 3M tape to install it or screws??

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
There was a post over on 3.8 about a hoodscoop installed by a dealer, and the pics were awful. There was a huge gap near the front of the scoop between the scoop and the hood.

I have a hood off a GT sitting in my garage, which has had the scoop removed. It has quite a few holes in it which would make the job difficult. You may be able to see them in this pic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What I would do, mind I don't have a scoop, is get some artists mat board, set the scoop on it and mark the position of the studs. carefully cut or drill the hole in the mat board and then mount the scoop to the mat board. Draw around the scoop base, then cut out the shape. You now have a pattern that you can align on the hood. Once you have it aligned to your liking tape it down, carefully mark and then drill your holes, mount the scoop and wah-lah you're done.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
OR_Red98 said:
What I would do, mind I don't have a scoop, is get some artists mat board, set the scoop on it and mark the position of the studs. carefully cut or drill the hole in the mat board and then mount the scoop to the mat board. Draw around the scoop base, then cut out the shape. You now have a pattern that you can align on the hood. Once you have it aligned to your liking tape it down, carefully mark and then drill your holes, mount the scoop and wah-lah you're done.

Very nice, and Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Smoked, nice to an familiar face.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OR_Red98 said:
Good Idea, ill try it and let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where did you get your hood scoop?

I like the scoop a lot, does it come in a kit from the dealer or an after market tuner??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Re: where did you get your hood scoop?

gshocksv said:
I like the scoop a lot, does it come in a kit from the dealer or an after market tuner??
You can get cheap kits off ebay, that come with 3m tape that go on the hood. Many people seem happy and chosen that alternative.
As for a "quality" scoop to get, id say get it from gefracing, or anthing ford oem. http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GRPP&Product_Code=1R3Z16C630&Category_Code=BODY
This scoop will require you drilling into your hood, that site also gives you the option to buy the nuts needed to bolt it on to the hood.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i have told time and time again how to do the install on v6power i belive. its really easy you take the cover from under the hood (01 i know this is true) there are two silver dollar size indentiosn on the back area in the middle of each one is where you drill a hole (these holes are where the back two middle bolts on the scoop go, chekc make sure they line up with the middle of hte circles if so thats them. then after you drill them mark the holes on a coard board box (one it came in) and then use the cardboard to line up the holes you drilled then punch and drill all the others, check after each hole or two to see if its going right, the angled ones are a pain you will probbly have to make them longer or it will gind and not seat properly, i just took mine off cuz they were a pain. then just bolt it down and you are done. i used some thread lock on the front bolt to keep it on snug. drill the holes a dat bigger than the bolts for ease of putting on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably ask a dealer to do it

and first I gotta paint it first..

I think I'll probably ask the dealer whether they'll do it, I don't want to do a half-assed job and screw up bad, have any of you asked professional to install?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts