Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 mustang with an engine that I was told came out of a 1985 engine but someone told me they think it's a 1983 Mustang 302 HO. It had a holley 4 barrel carb and someone told me the markings on top of the motor indicate it was a 1983 302 HO. Does anyone have any information of any sources that describe these specifications or anything that can lead to me identifying the engine properly? Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check the numbers on the engine block, not on the manifold or the carb, as these are constantly switched out. Any good parts store (try a good NAPA) or dealer with knowledgeable personnel can help, as they normally have guides which list the years the engine was made and can cross reference as well. If you know a real good motorhead, he or she may also have some manuals that can help you too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can check the cylinder head code. If it say E5AE-6049-CA, then it's an 1985 for sure. If it say D94E-6049-AA , it maybe a 83 but still can be a 1985, but not a High Output. An 85 HO however will have a roller cam and lifter(first year). An 83 HO is hard to tell from a regular 302 other then a higher lift cam.

·
Registered
25 Posts
check the firing order on the spark plugs, the HO has a different firing order from the standard 302. I learned this the hard way one day back in 88.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts