Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Need your HELP Guys :good:
I'll be picking up my Ford GT BULLITT this coming Sat.01/12 at the dealer.

Its a beauty I must say.

My Situation: I've been reading here and there on what not to do and what to do concerning the important matter of BREAKING IN MY 4.6 ENGINE.

And frankly I'm CONFUSED :confused:

Some say: Read the manual (of course I will )
" " : Don't hit it hard the first 1,000 miles :rolleyes:
Some say: Go nice an easy the first 2,000miles :rolleyes:
No one said anything about when 2 change the oil.
Oh yeah READ THE MANUAL :uhh:

The whole idea is to seat the PISTON RINGS PROPERLY RIGHT:good:/WRONG :bad:

Some say: You have to hit it hard on the engine in order from the Piston Ring to ready go up against the cyclinder walls and break in properly.
If not and you go easy on the engine you'll have BLOW BACK and the Piston Ring will not conform to the cyclinder wall and your oil will become contaninatied :eek:

So guys you can see that I'm hanging on a limb here. My BULLITT has 4miles on it at the showroom.

I'm about 15miles from the dealership and if I drive the BULLITT home and don't have BEST way of handling this break in deal . I could be doing some DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE LATELY ON, due to improper break in.

So you can see again I'm getting a little NUTS over this thing.

O.K. Guys I'm outa here.
If there are any pro mechanics out there please, please jump righ in and help me please

THANKS GUYS
GOD BLESS :peace:
Schooner :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Seems everyone has a option on that subject

Good Luck with the new car

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
Its just like any other GT or V6 they are already broken in from the factory for the most part. Change the oil at 500 miles to put your mind at ease and again at round 2k or so and then get back on schedule with every 3k miles. Run full synth if you want a better oil.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Manufactures are making engines with much higher tolerances today. Where cylinder clearances used to be in the thousands of an inch, now its in the ten thousands. Bores are rounder and straighter. There is know reason to baby a newer engine, it will actually hurt. You need cylinder pressure to drive the rings out onto the bore, which actually shaves the bore into a perfect fit. By babying it the rings will only rub and burnish the surface leaving a less then Ideal finish. So ... keep the revs below 4000 the first 300 miles, then drive it ... accelerate with meaning for the next 2500 miles and your all set. This is how all High Performance engines are broken in, and all engines today can be considered a high performance engine since they pull more power out then there predecessors ever did.

Most modern car engines are broken in at the factory, before assembly. Therefore the old tradition of breaking in a new car doesn't apply anymore. Just drive as you normally would drive and treat the car the way you would treat anything else of value

Don't run synth oil during break in How to break in a race engine with Tim Eichhorn - NMRA Ford Nationals Series Forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manufactures are making engines with much higher tolerances today. Where cylinder clearances used to be in the thousands of an inch, now its in the ten thousands. Bores are rounder and straighter. There is know reason to baby a newer engine, it will actually hurt. You need cylinder pressure to drive the rings out onto the bore, which actually shaves the bore into a perfect fit. By babying it the rings will only rub and burnish the surface leaving a less then Ideal finish. So ... keep the revs below 4000 the first 300 miles, then drive it ... accelerate with meaning for the next 2500 miles and your all set. This is how all High Performance engines are broken in, and all engines today can be considered a high performance engine since they pull more power out then there predecessors ever did.

Most modern car engines are broken in at the factory, before assembly. Therefore the old tradition of breaking in a new car doesn't apply anymore. Just drive as you normally would drive and treat the car the way you would treat anything else of value

Don't run synth oil during break in How to break in a race engine with Tim Eichhorn - NMRA Ford Nationals Series Forum

Hi Herbstang

Thanks 4 your impute. I certainly appreciated it.
What you say MAKES SENSE 2 me.
Most of the guys have written back to me agreeing with what you said.

So that's the way it will B.
Of course I'll read the manual.

I knew that most important thing you mention was: Not put synthic oil during the break in period. That's 4 sure. Afterwards its O.K.

Thanks again Herbstang
GOD BLESS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Got My GT Ford Mustang "BULLITT" 2 Day

Hi Guys/Gals

My GOD O' MIGHTY :eek: WHAT A CAR :woo:

Listen guys/gals I'm a 67yr. ol' young man. I think sometimes I'm 18 again.

I can not begin to tell you how this Ford Bullitt of mine handles. It takes the curves like no bodies business. Its like the car is driving me and me not driving it.

The Bullitt doesn't galloop like a pony. IT LEAPS ! ! !
It takes me flying thru the air, I'm not kidding.

I did like you guys said, open her up. There really is no break in period. In a sense, I varied my speeds and cracked it up to 85/105miles per.

GOD can this car move!!!
What else can I say.

The interior is very comfortable. Seats are GREAT !

The shifter fits nicely just where it is.

The steering wheel seems to me like a racing cars wheel. Somewhat smaller
than a regular steering wheel. Very slightly smaller. Feels nice in my BIG hands.

The SOUND of this car !!!! Let me tell you guys STEVE McQUEEN is not dead.
He lives within me when I'm driving this car :eek:
What a sound this car makes. Just like in the movie BULLITT.

Here's a little tale that happened with my Bullitt. I pull out of the dealer, knowing that I have to open-her up a bit. I headed for the highway.

Now I better tell you that my wife and I live in Las Vegas and the cars on the highway MOVE. Speed limit is: 65MPH. And believe me traffic will move at times (most the time) 70/75/80MPH no kidding.

So I enter the highway, traffic for some good GOD reason is hardly nothing. Its seems I have the highway all to myself except of course some cars here and there.

I'm in 2nd gear and approaching the entrance lane to the highway. I shift into 3rd gear and I'm doing 80MPH (no kidding) the Bullitt LEAP into the lane.

Coming up in the right hand lane is believe it or not A FORD MUSTANG CORBA, and he's moving. I believe its year was '06 or '07

All of a sudden this 67 yr. ol' man turns into STEVE McQueen.
I'm still in 3rd gear and cracking it a little bit(75MPH) I don't want this CORBA to pass me by. I really want to see & feel just what this car can do.

I'm now doing 85/87MPH (I'm still in 3rd gear). The Corba is still comin' up on me. I still got two more gears in my pocket 4th & 5th gear. Corba really coming now. He's still in the far left hand lane and I'm in the next.

So I punch it into 4th gear and the BULLITT LEAPS again and I'm starting to leave the Cobra slightly. I look at the speedonmetor it reads: 92/94MPH.

I'm leaving the Cobra behind now. So the McQueen in me figures let me finish him off now. I pull out the 5th gear and VOOOOOMMMMMM :woo: me and the BULLITT are GONE !!! I'm passing cars like their standing still. ( I got my eyes wide open for SMOKEY of course) THANK GOD none were around.

Believe me guys I can't believe the way this car LEAPS. Of course I started to shift down and notice far off in my rear view mirror the Cobra exited some where off in my reafrveiw mirror.

I put about 40/50 mile varing my speeds heading home. My wife called me on the cell as I was driving home and said, " Hey honey how you doin' as she heard me LAUGHING :lmao: She could tell I had the BIGGEST SMILE on my face also.

Listen you great guys/gals out there. I'm no better than anyone of you with my new BULLITT. I'm just GREATFUL to be able to own this car that JESUS ALLOWED me to have ~ just 4 today.

Hey GOD BLESS YOU ALL
P.S. if there's any questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
glad you like it. my cousin had to sell her true blue 01 bullitt and I thought about getting it but at the time it wasnt a good choice. I finally got my v8 though.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
i think the only thing you should try to avoid is long term constant rpm's for the first 1000mi or so.

imo contrary to popular belief, the best way to break in a part is to break it in how its going to be driven for the rest of its life. you cant baby **** and then one day start abusing it, cause certain parts will go "wtf is this ****? i thought it was gonna be smooth sailing and all of a sudden im under stress! **** this i quit!" case in point, i had a 97 eclipse gst (fwd) and so did my buddy, we both got ACT clutches from the same batch, both installed by the same shop a week apart, same techie. i did NOT follow break-in procedure, leaving the shop i instantly took it through the rpm band in 1st and 2nd. drove it relatively hard on the way home. he babied it, didnt see over 2500rpm or any boost for the first 500mi (per recommendation). took it to the track a month later and guess what, two of his springs on his pressure plate or whatever popped out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice! Congrats on the new car! :)

Awesome story about the ride home!!! I'm so happy for you. Nothing beats that feeling huh! :)

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Lucky, the Bullitt is something I always wanted.

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
^^ they said they would NEVER make another after 01 either. I wonder when the next one will be.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Re: I Got My GT Ford Mustang "BULLITT" 2 Day

Hi Guys/Gals

My GOD O' MIGHTY :eek: WHAT A CAR :woo:

Listen guys/gals I'm a 67yr. ol' young man. I think sometimes I'm 18 again.

I can not begin to tell you how this Ford Bullitt of mine handles. It takes the curves like no bodies business. Its like the car is driving me and me not driving it.

The Bullitt doesn't galloop like a pony. IT LEAPS ! ! !
It takes me flying thru the air, I'm not kidding.

I did like you guys said, open her up. There really is no break in period. In a sense, I varied my speeds and cracked it up to 85/105miles per.

GOD can this car move!!!
What else can I say.

The interior is very comfortable. Seats are GREAT !

The shifter fits nicely just where it is.

The steering wheel seems to me like a racing cars wheel. Somewhat smaller
than a regular steering wheel. Very slightly smaller. Feels nice in my BIG hands.

The SOUND of this car !!!! Let me tell you guys STEVE McQUEEN is not dead.
He lives within me when I'm driving this car :eek:
What a sound this car makes. Just like in the movie BULLITT.

Here's a little tale that happened with my Bullitt. I pull out of the dealer, knowing that I have to open-her up a bit. I headed for the highway.

Now I better tell you that my wife and I live in Las Vegas and the cars on the highway MOVE. Speed limit is: 65MPH. And believe me traffic will move at times (most the time) 70/75/80MPH no kidding.

So I enter the highway, traffic for some good GOD reason is hardly nothing. Its seems I have the highway all to myself except of course some cars here and there.

I'm in 2nd gear and approaching the entrance lane to the highway. I shift into 3rd gear and I'm doing 80MPH (no kidding) the Bullitt LEAP into the lane.

Coming up in the right hand lane is believe it or not A FORD MUSTANG CORBA, and he's moving. I believe its year was '06 or '07

All of a sudden this 67 yr. ol' man turns into STEVE McQueen.
I'm still in 3rd gear and cracking it a little bit(75MPH) I don't want this CORBA to pass me by. I really want to see & feel just what this car can do.

I'm now doing 85/87MPH (I'm still in 3rd gear). The Corba is still comin' up on me. I still got two more gears in my pocket 4th & 5th gear. Corba really coming now. He's still in the far left hand lane and I'm in the next.

So I punch it into 4th gear and the BULLITT LEAPS again and I'm starting to leave the Cobra slightly. I look at the speedonmetor it reads: 92/94MPH.

I'm leaving the Cobra behind now. So the McQueen in me figures let me finish him off now. I pull out the 5th gear and VOOOOOMMMMMM :woo: me and the BULLITT are GONE !!! I'm passing cars like their standing still. ( I got my eyes wide open for SMOKEY of course) THANK GOD none were around.

Believe me guys I can't believe the way this car LEAPS. Of course I started to shift down and notice far off in my rear view mirror the Cobra exited some where off in my reafrveiw mirror.

I put about 40/50 mile varing my speeds heading home. My wife called me on the cell as I was driving home and said, " Hey honey how you doin' as she heard me LAUGHING :lmao: She could tell I had the BIGGEST SMILE on my face also.

Listen you great guys/gals out there. I'm no better than anyone of you with my new BULLITT. I'm just GREATFUL to be able to own this car that JESUS ALLOWED me to have ~ just 4 today.

Hey GOD BLESS YOU ALL
P.S. if there's any questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Sweet !!!! Glad I could help out a little Enjoy the Bullit

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
Nice, the only cobra in the new body style is an 07 or 08. It is the GT500 which is the 500hp/480tq version and much quicker than a stock gt. Was it an older one or did it look like yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on the bullit. Only thing to do now is start modding it. I've beat the crap out of my 06 GT since day 1 with 42,000 miles on it now, with no problems and its still holding up strong. So don't worry about hurting it.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
sounds like a fun car man... now for more mods so it leaps harder and longer :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Robbie 4 Your Impute

Congrats on the bullit. Only thing to do now is start modding it. I've beat the crap out of my 06 GT since day 1 with 42,000 miles on it now, with no problems and its still holding up strong. So don't worry about hurting it.

Hi Robbie

Yeah, I know what you mean about NOT babying it. I just am NOT goin' over into the RED ZONE.

I'll keep in 4K revs for now.

I need about a 1000miles on it before I bring out to the track here in Vegas where my wife and I live.

So THANKS AGAIN
GOD BLESS

·
Registered
255 Posts
hmmm...maybe let me drive it? haha ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If You Like To Drive Me '08 Come To Las Vegas

hmmm...maybe let me drive it? haha ;)
Hi ChrissyStang02

My wife and I live in Las Vegas and we'd love to have you come and drive MY CAR . . . LOL :eek:

All kidding aside. Good Health and Safe Driving with you '02

GOD BLESS :love:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey SCHOONER! ;) That is so awesome! Congrats on the car! I'm soooo happy for you, you sound thrilled. And haha thanks! I would if I could! :) Thanks so much! You too, hope you have a great new year and enjoy the car and M.E.! :)

Take care! ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts