Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've got a 1973 Mustang with a V8 351 Windsor Engine. It's got a 4 barrel carberator. It's an auto transmission. Other than that, what else to explain. Basically, it doesn't have the best acceleration. So, how could I got about increasing it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 351 Windor in 73 was just heading into low performance direction, never fear, this engine has potential still. carb can be changed to a 600 double pumper Holly pretty easily and immediate response will be there! the ignition may need to be set up for better advance possibly an electronic kit would do you well. you mentioned nothing of your exhaust system so I presume its stock or close. a single exhaust system will do fine if you will just install a flow master or similar to better flow. headers are great on these engines and provide substantial gains. lastly the stock rear end gears are for cruising speeds most often 300-1 is standard or close to it. 355-1 rear ratio gives you much better acceleration and feel but reduces the top end speed by a small amount (150 > 135 example) good daily driver ratio though and short trips can increase your fuel mileage as well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts