Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have a little 1981 mustang with a engine swap. It's real easy to burn rubber, but when i do only the right one will spin. it makes me feel a little bit embarrassed. I would assume it has to do with the differential. What to do?

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is no smart way to do a stupid thing. You are thinking like a kid. You should feel more embarrassed about trying to spin your tires than you should about only one spinning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why do you need to spin both tires? Haven't you learned how to drive yet?

Truth be told, the tire with the least amount of resistance is getting all the power, and without a locking differential, that is going to happen because you are overpowering the available traction.
In low traction situations, the total torque delivered to each wheel is limited to the torque that is required to make the wheel with the least traction slip.

Stop trying to show off with a 30 year old car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you plan on going all over town burning rubber I suggest you get ahold of a ford 9 inch rear end so mewhere with a pozzi trac differential in it and hook it up. It takes money or finding one in a junk yard by taliking to others who have parts laying around not doing nothing is what you need. It makes the rear end more squrrly than it is now but the car will launch better off the line I also suggest you make fiends with a guy in a used tire shop, or better yet get an after school job at a tire place or a

·
Registered
11 Posts
Detroit Locker differential, but can be expensive. You can do it another way....very cheap......weld your spider gears together in the differental. You first must clean all of the gear oil off any area to be welded (Spider Gears)! If you do it this way, don't tell your buddies because they might tease you for Jerry Riggin' it. It will spin both tires though, and may wear the tires a little faster in the rear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your right! You have to replace your differential. You can get one the cheapest at like Summit Racing or Jegs. It's called a posi-traction rear end. That will take care of that single leg burn out. The car will go faster to because it will "Hook-up" better. Hope I helped you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts