Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 1970 mustang mach 1 that has been in storage for 30 years. I am worried that i might get stuck with a fat bill of fines and back registration. Can that happen, should i worry, how do i deal with it.
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
You don't mention where you're from.....
If the car is in PNO status, then no problem....PNO=Planned NON OP. It's for cars that want to be in storage for 1 year or more. The registration is canceled. You only pay when the car is put back on the road. If the car never was put in PNO, then after 5 years, the car will "fall off record".
You need to take the car in to a DMV or AAA Auto Club and get it inspected. It will need to be smogged and possibly pay 4 years of penalties. But a car that old won't be high penalties.

If you have the VIN# or license plate, you can go to this website: https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/renewalForm.do to see the status and how much it costs to put back on road.
If your not in CA, I'm sure all the states have their own version of this calculator.

Go to the DMV for a 1 day moving pass to take the car in for inspection or smog station.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had my car stored for around 20 years and the California DMV office that I went to didn't fine me anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts