Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add a CAI. That makes the throttle body the smallest (99+) opening. However, with only 3.8L does a 70mm realy make much sense? That's bigger than what allot of my friends run on 5.0's!

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you have a cai and ported intakes, then upgrading the maf and tb is prolly a good idea. Also if you run boost. Otherwise, dont get one.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
There is no reason to get a larger MAF unless you are going Supercharger. The stock MAF flows quite well for just about any N/A application or mod.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you don't port the crossover point from the throttle body to the upper intake then its a bottle neck on the 94-98s, not sure on the 99+, I went with a 70mm on my 99 GT, you can get a 75mm for the 99GT, but its not recommended unless you are supercharging. So why would the V6 need as large a tbody as the 4.6 anyhow? I have heard that too large a tbody can reduce the velocity of incoming air and this is bad for your engine??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still....

9" x3" dia K&N filter, prom 75mm MAF, 3" CAI to a stock 52mm TB, and p/p intakes and heads, the TB and orifice is the bottleneck!!!
I have a 93 5.0 TB and I want to adapt it to my single port motor... what do I need to do? Do I need Flex's adaptor or can I redrill the TB myself? How do I adapt the linkage and TPS cable/cruise control?
GOt any pics of this?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I have a 5.0 TB and it has elongated holes for fitment on the upper Intake manifold. you need to have a 94-98 TB Linkage welded to the 5.0. As far a the Throttle Position Sensor you need the 5.0 sensor and it has to be adapted or spliced into the stock TPS harness. I actually got Terry at Midwest to send me a section of a 5.0 wire harness and made a custome quick disconnect that left the stock wiring harness intact

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pix?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The flex adapter might be an "easier" route Corey's way might be very complicated Sarge, hehehe.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Hey wait a minute To elongate the holes is complicated :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :?: :?: :p :p :p ;)
It might require 30 minutes of your time but it is cheaper to elongate the holes . :oops: :oops: :oops: :D
I am not saying dont buy Flex's adapter he has a quality product. ;)

Oh and if you are looking for a TB here is one off a 90 Lx 5.0 it come with intakes but for $10 not a bad deal ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2428529637&category=36474

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
LOL, I was just messin' with you Corey, lol. Chill buddy...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Corey, is your car running ok now, or you going to take it to Atlanta for a Fordchip dyno tune?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Heres another thing...the back side of the TB isn't flat, but is undersut , how will the TB gasket seal?
And again, I am not sure how to build the linkage.. I can work iron well enough, just wondering what needs to be done.
To me, it looks like you can just adapt the linkage and TPS cable mount. AM I wrong? I've heard that the linkage needs to be converted from push to pull. Are there pics somewhere of an un mounted pic of an adapted TB?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
ASSEMbler said:
I was wondering how to add the 70mm throttle body? Is it a bold onto the intake manifold? So I have to make an adapter plate?
Also, will the new throttle interfere with the ECU? Will it run insanely rich?
Or do I do the standard reset and learn?
ASSUMing ;) you have a 99^, the TB is quite big, and
actually about all the stock crossover tube cna handle anyway.
So just 1/2 shaft it and port the crossover tube. Great match,
and you get more airflow thru there for minimal effort.
Using anything bigger takes excessive crossover tube mods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts