Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for Mustangs having the factory HIDs fitted only. This probably only refers to 2011 and newer? Please don't answer if you have non-HID halogen headlights or aftermarket HIDs:

What do your HIDs do when you pull the multifunction lever rearward, toward the steering wheel when the headlights are off?

On my car the HIDs flash for a split second but do not stay on, even if I am holding the lever. Shouldn't they stay on until I release the lever?

If the head lights are already on, pulling the multifunction lever rearward turns on the high beams and they stay on until I release the lever as expected, and the way they work in every other car I've owned.

What does yours do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
From workshop manual:
The flash-to-pass feature is unique for HID -equipped vehicles. If the low beams are off when the flash-to-
pass is requested, the HID ballasts and the shutters within the headlamps are activated for less than 0.5
second. If the low beams are on when the flash-to-pass is requested, the shutters within the headlamps are
activated as long as the multifunction switch is held in the FLASH-TO-PASS position.
It looks like it works as designed, lights up for about 0.5s
So, this feature is useless...

·
Administrator
699 Posts
This question is for Mustangs having the factory HIDs fitted only. This probably only refers to 2011 and newer? Please don't answer if you have non-HID halogen headlights or aftermarket HIDs:

What do your HIDs do when you pull the multifunction lever rearward, toward the steering wheel when the headlights are off?

On my car the HIDs flash for a split second but do not stay on, even if I am holding the lever. Shouldn't they stay on until I release the lever?

If the head lights are already on, pulling the multifunction lever rearward turns on the high beams and they stay on until I release the lever as expected, and the way they work in every other car I've owned.

What does yours do?
__
I’ll check tomorrow Jeff, but I’m think mine stays on for as long as I hold the lever back, just as you report yours do when the headlights are already on.

·
Administrator
699 Posts
From workshop manual:

It looks like it works as designed, lights up for about 0.5s
So, this feature is useless...
If you are correct, and it does work this way, it’s not useless. When I have the need for this function, I generally click the lever several times anyway in quick succession. At 0.5s per click, that’s plenty.

I don’t think Jeff was necessarily complaining about the behavior, but rather asking if this were normal for the car.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just checked mine. HID factory option on my 2011. Lights off has a half second high beam flash. Even holding the lever back. With headlights on, the head lights stay on high beam for as long as you pull back on the lever :)

·
Administrator
699 Posts
Thanks David, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I’m out of town and didn’t get a chance to check this out on my car. My apologies Jeff, I’ll still check it out on my car when I get home.

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,321 Posts
Both my 2013 F150 and 2013 Mustang give you the 1/2 second flash, which when I have actually used the Flash to pass is about twice as long as I leave it on. Never thought it was a good Idea to blind someone you are trying to pass, Just saying.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have only used my flash to pass to warn on coming traffic, they are headed toward a 'speed trap'. :)

Reactions: crjackson

·
Administrator
699 Posts
2014 - Factory Installed HID
Lights off, lever back = .5 High Beam Flash
Lights on, lever back = Continuous High Beam until lever is released

I use mine to tell a passing Semi, he is clear to pull back over in front of me.

I also use them to give a friendly Nod, to approaching Mustangs traveling in the opposite direction.

Reactions: WJBertrand
1 - 9 of 9 Posts