Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't bother searching since I have never seen anything like this in the couple months I have been on, and it is not an exhaust or cold air induction question...

I want to remove my antenna. Does anyone have.any info to help? Advice, or know what I would need to do to cover the opening and/or maintain reception?
I do not know how to even start removing it. All feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I didn't bother searching since I have never seen anything like this in the couple months I have been on, and it is not an exhaust or cold air induction question...

I want to remove my antenna. Does anyone have.any info to help? Advice, or know what I would need to do to cover the opening and/or maintain reception?
I do not know how to even start removing it. All feedback is welcome.
I'd love to see an antenna delete kit. But I suspect the only way is with body shop. But If the hole is clean, you would think some plug and seal would work. Depends in what is under there. Good luck and let us know if you try. Pics too!!

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Put an amplified horizontal antenna in the upper part of the rear window and delete the external one. One of my many personal touches I've been planning. I've also looked into using the defroster lines as an antenna, which can be done. ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sanguin said:
Put an amplified horizontal antenna in the upper part of the rear window and delete the external one. One of my many personal touches I've been planning. I've also looked into using the defroster lines as an antenna, which can be done. ;)
Yes your stock antenna will unscrew. There is a round hole under the plastic base. I'm not sure how the vase comes off but once it's off you would need to patch that hole obviously. As far as makeing the rear defrost into an antenna, well, it would technically work but not well. I could get into the benefits and downfalls of active & passive antenna and talk about how length of receivers are dictated by wavelength but ill save you the wireless 101. use the horizontal like you were planing, that's your best bet.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet.

I tried unscrewing a little, but didn't want to do more or get firm with it not knowing if I would break it or not.

And I am doing it to reduce drag lol. Yes, it is for the radio, and I was rolling from all of these comments, but I am gonna TRY switch to CDs.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yes your stock antenna will unscrew. There is a round hole under the plastic base. I'm not sure how the vase comes off but once it's off you would need to patch that hole obviously. As far as makeing the rear defrost into an antenna, well, it would technically work but not well. I could get into the benefits and downfalls of active & passive antenna and talk about how length of receivers are dictated by wavelength but ill save you the wireless 101. use the horizontal like you were planing, that's your best bet.
Actually, yes I know all the techno babble. I researched it quite thoroughly. I'd also considered a sharkfin antenna that has an amped fm antenna in it. What i really want is an applique that resembles those painted on the rear glass in most modern vehicles. That way I can attach it to the window like tint and have an antenna that way. I've yet to find something like that though, but surely it exists.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would not use that one. Hidden ones require being stuffed somewhere. That's fine on an open structure, but with cars having a metal outer skin, it will shield the signal and reduce it. Better to have something window/exterior mounted.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Under the rear spoiler would work.

If you have a rear spoiler on your Mustang you could mount it under the spoiler and it would work just fine. It is only 3/4 X 3/4 by 4 inches so it is pretty small.

I'm guessing under the front or rear plastic bumper would still work.

I just can't see removing something nobody ever notices anyway. And don't tell be it is being removed for wind resistance because that is just plain ridiculous.

Just tell me it is being removed because the car owner wants it removed. Then I can understand. Not for to much wind resistance

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I do notice it. My '00 Grand Prix SE has an antenna and I despise it. Why? My '98 GTP has none... it's made into the rear window. Looks way better. My '10 Malibu: rear window. Why Ford couldn't spend an extra $10 to have the rear glass etched with an antenna grid at the same time as the defroster is baffling. Even one of the guys on the GP forum I frequented saw my pics and commented how he can't believe a modern car is still using an antenna mast.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ronnie948 said:
If you have a rear spoiler on your Mustang you could mount it under the spoiler and it would work just fine. It is only 3/4 X 3/4 by 4 inches so it is pretty small.

I'm guessing under the front or rear plastic bumper would still work.

I just can't see removing something nobody ever notices anyway. And don't tell be it is being removed for wind resistance because that is just plain ridiculous.

Just tell me it is being removed because the car owner wants it removed. Then I can understand. Not for to much wind resistance

Ronnie
Mine is for drag. I know it is funny, but that is what I do...stream line, make it as efficient as the car should have come.

I am.currently working on a FUll belly pan and getting dropped in the spring. 600 miles on the factory tank, and no chrysler bullcrap with a 27 gallon tank or something.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
OK I get it

You are the guy that is after the absolute best MPG you can ever have with your car.
Have you thoughts of doing something like this:

Of course without the wing on the back.

Your gas mileage is phenomenal and now I get why you want to remove the antenna. The front clip like Plymouth and Dodge used on the Nascar racers would probably do more for MPG then a flat under pan. Using both would be best but at what cost??? If you do something like this make sure you have some way to get airflow to keep the engine from melting.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. I'll remember you are the MPG guy from now on.
Ronnie

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
My son actually removed my antenna by grabbing onto it as he rounded the corner of my car trying to catch his balance. Yeah so just pull like heck on it and it'll pop off. Although it leaves the base still attached to the car. Lol, luckily my service guy at ford was able to replace it under warranty. :good:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts