Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a 2012 Mustang GT 6 speed manual.

I am currently living in South east Michigan, and understand how terrible the winter can be. I plan on purchasing 4 snow tires and putting them on the Mustang.

Curious to know how bad rear wheel drive cars are in the winter? Also if equipping snow tires in the winter will make the difference?

I have driven Pontiac Bonneville in past winters and it has not given me any problem what so ever in the snow due to being front wheel drive and having good tires on it, but I am a little worried how rear wheel drive car will be in the winter.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2011 Shelby Mustang and i live in Southern California in Big Bear at the top, by big bear lake and i drive it when we have 5 feet of snow and it drives fine in it after the plow the roads and i have driven it in a foot of snow before they plowed it and it did great, but i am an experienced driver, i do baja racing....
if u are not an experienced driver, then i would say go with a F-150 4x4....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a mustang also and its pretty hard to drive in the winter. I have rear wheel drive and its hard to get out of my drive-way. Im a teen and my parents think its dangerous so I normally drive a different vehicle in the winter. I live in Ohio. I imagine the snow tires would help but not a huge amount! Be safe! Hope this helped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trust me bud they are terrible in the winter all they do is sit and spin tires.. You will want either and front wheel drive car, a small car or if you get something longer it will need to be 4x4

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have lived in Saskatchewan, Canada for all my 42 years and can honestly say that front-wheel drive cars "can" be better in some instances. That being said we have driven only rear drive cars and trucks for as long as I have been driving. The tires make all the difference in the world for winter driving.

Braking and basic (not on the gas) handling does not care if its front drive or rear drive. You can not accelerate as fast with RWD in the really slippery roads, but neither should you be. FWD has trained a lot of drivers in poor driving habits.

Modern vehicles with all the safeties built in, anti-lock brakes, traction control and electronic stability control has made driving in the winter almost to easy. Its to easy to over-drive the road conditions and get into trouble.

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts