Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If its for your model car, then relatively easy if you're good at putting things together. It's basically remove old. Take pictures (lots). And put back together and it should go in the same way. I have no experience changing shifters so don't take my word for it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shifters can be a little bit tricky. They aren't that hard to put in but afterwards you have to make some adjustment to make sure you can get to every gear

·
Registered
370 Posts
As long as you have basic mechanic skills it shouldn't be too hard. The one thing I have learned from reading about other people installing shifters is the O/D button is a bit of a pain to install into the new shifter.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
As long as you have basic mechanic skills it shouldn't be too hard. The one thing I have learned from reading about other people installing shifters is the O/D button is a bit of a pain to install into the new shifter.
Oh yeah, those damn OD buttons. I wanted to see how hard it was to replace a shifter, so I went to the salvage yard and found a mustang. Tried to take off the shifter and made a mess with it. I recommend practicing on a junked mustang first so you can get a feel for how it's gonna be and you won't go into your project blind.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I don't know if it is a lot different than replacing a shifter for a manual car. But I put a short shifter in mine and it was very easy. First time. About an hour of removing old parts and some YouTube videos for instal lol then got it all together.
Simple for mine just unbolt and then re-bolt lol

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Doubt it. The shifter sits on top of the tranny. Haha unless you want to replace your tranny then you're good just sittin inside the car :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
IMO I wouldn't do it with a v6 that is stock

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
wont help performance at all but the stock ones look bad so it would be an upgrade at that

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well... In the next year somewhere im gonna put either a 302 or a 4.6 in there... I havnt made up my mind yet
Unless u go 5.0 u will spend way more than the car is worth and having an sn 95 u might as well sell it and get a 94 or 95 5.0 car and build it

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I have a 5.0 I had briefly entertained the idea of dropping into my 03. I came to the conclusion it was not worth the effort, and thats already having the complete engine.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wont help performance at all but the stock ones look bad so it would be an upgrade at that
Well driving an auto gets boring... But a rachet shifter makes it more fun.. And it makes it look better...

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Unless u go 5.0 u will spend way more than the car is worth and having an sn 95 u might as well sell it and get a 94 or 95 5.0 car and build it
Just a idea...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well driving an auto gets boring... But a rachet shifter makes it more fun.. And it makes it look better...

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Just a idea...
Right I'm just saying it could be a waste of money unless u , just buy a 5.0 car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts