Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 v6 with 5 speed. I bought the car used with 58,000 on it and it currently has 68,000. I have noticed on occasion that reverse is hard to get into. I find it easier to put it in reverse and then start the engine. I dont notice any slippage of the clutch in any of the gears.
Is there a way to tell when its going to go, or is there a way to check the clutch free play
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
its not realyl a clutch issue, first and revese, and 2nd are hard to get into on our trannys, i would change the fluid with some amisoil, gm syncromesh, or some full synthetic lubricant to help, especially on cold days. try putting it in first then reverse, you cabn check to make sure yoru clutch travels far enough but it should be fine, lift up on the clutch petal to adjust it if thats better than you are set, if it unadjusts its self shortly then the quadrent is worn and you need a new one or live with it.

if you treat it will a clutch will last 100k

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
clutches are usually good for around 60k...

your problem, however, doesnt sound clutch related

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i have seen clutches last 120-130k but usually if you get 60-80 just consider yoru self lucky and spend the 150 bucks~ for a new one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah what u are explaining sounds to me like u need to go into first and then reverse to move the linkage around....thats all.... :|

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D :D Thanks so much for the replies back. I will look into changing the trans fluid. It doesnt do it all the time, but it is very annoying sometimes when trying to get into reverse.
I noticed that a lot of you have tlocks? Exactly what are they, and what kind of gain if any do they provide? I am thinking of also getting the asp underdrive pulley set, also. From what I have seen, they dont provide a lot of hp gain, but improved response througout the rpm range?
That will probably be it for me as far as mods go.
Thanks again.
Steve 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
transfluid is easy to change in a manual only holds 3 quarts, if yo udo it your self you need a pump thing though, no big deal just remember that before you go and drain teh fluid wiht no way to fill it back up.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
A t-ok is a limited slip that goes in to your rearend differencial. What it does it is when your drive wheel (the right rear) is slipping then your other will start spinning to give you extra traction. as for performance gains it will help you launch but thats about it. but dont get me wrong its a really nice thing to have. I dont really know anything about the u\d pulleys sorry.

·
Registered
941 Posts
um, clutches last for however long the driver allows (how they drive, if they race, and sometimes clutches just go). where did you pull 60k from? on a regular car that isn't beat on too bad 100k miles is more like it.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
it obviously matters how you drive it, but a person thats gunna get on the gas quite often will see a lower life of their clutch. i got 60k from one of our other cars. thats where the clutch went out on that. 60k-75k is a pretty safe average

·
Registered
109 Posts
my clutch lasted 135k no problems

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
um, clutches last for however long the driver allows (how they drive, if they race, and sometimes clutches just go). where did you pull 60k from? on a regular car that isn't beat on too bad 100k miles is more like it.
Totally agree with this statement. Clutchs last however good or bad you treat it. Speed shifting will dramatically decrease the life of the clutch and glaze the flywheel requiring it to be resurfaced or replaced

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
reverse = the suck in our cars i have an awful time getting mien to go in, in the manual it says to hold it all the way to the left, to the left of 3rd and 4th for 4-5 seconds before putting it in reverse any time it is in the middle it has reverse blocked off or some crap....

·
Registered
414 Posts
ZimStang said:
thats traction control, not traction lok
Acctually, no, that's t-loc.

Traction control pumps your ABS brakes and shuts down cylinders to reduce power and prevent spinning.

T-loc uses clutches to make sure that if one wheel loses traction power will be transfered to the other wheel.

And it's great, I love mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts