Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that I'm living in an apartment the car is outside all the time how long should I let it warm up before driving in the morning? Ts usually 40-45 degrees out

·
Registered
673 Posts
What I do is get in and turn it on immediately, then get all my stuff set up, stereo, seat belt, etc. then I will baby it until I start to see the temp gauge move. I don't like to get into it until it is fully warmed up. Your car will warm up faster when driving, just gotta go slow.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
I let mine idle for a few minutes. When I start out, I keep the RPM's below 2K until I feel the heater air start to warm. Then I'll keep it under 3K until its fully up to temperature. I've heard your oil needs to be at least 180 degF to fully lubricate throughout your engine.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Lets say you gotta be at class at 9:30. I live 15 minutes away so I leave at 9:15. I crank the car at 9:10 and go back inside and do minor things like shoes, wallat, books, coffee. Take it out to car and get into a nice warm car. Your car will crank to about 1-13k rpm when it is ready to go it will back down to 700 idle and then you can go. I see no need I'm mashing the gas to warm it up, could crack the block if you do that but its rare.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lets say you gotta be at class at 9:30. I live 15 minutes away so I leave at 9:15. I crank the car at 9:10 and go back inside and do minor things like shoes, wallat, books, coffee. Take it out to car and get into a nice warm car. Your car will crank to about 1-13k rpm when it is ready to go it will back down to 700 idle and then you can go. I see no need I'm mashing the gas to warm it up, could crack the block if you do that but its rare.
13k rpm?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I back out of my driveway in neutral, idle has dropped by the time I start going forward. Just don't rev a cold engine

·
Registered
326 Posts
Toughest wear is on cold engine. Wait for idle to drop, drive under 3k rpm until engine head is 200°F or coolant temp shows normal operating. Takes about a mile in summer and ten in winter.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
wait till the rpms drop back down to normal idle then just take it slow till it warms up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts