Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 93k miles and think they may be starting to go, but am not sure.

My brakes have been groaning when I apply them since I did a brake job, thanks to my not using the proper grease on the backs of the pads. I'll fix that in the spring when the car's due for pads and rotors.

I get a similar groan/pop noise if the car is stationary and I wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and sometimes a pop turning into a parking space. The pop sounds like the hydro bushing pop in the old-style LCAs without the heat shields, but I'm wondering if in my case it could be the tie rod ends, which are original to the car.

For reference, most of the front suspension has been replaced.
LCAs (including ball joints) were upgraded to the Rev C with the head shields and have maybe 40k miles on them
Similar with the front struts (strut mounts replaced at the same time)
I replaced the front end links maybe 3k miles ago - they were original to the car so had almost as many miles as the tie rod ends when they started to go bad.

Curious how many miles you folks went before replacing tie rod ends. I'm thinking I may just replace them as a matter of course due to mileage. I'd rather not have one come apart when turning off the highway.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I believe no one has answered your question about the tie rod ends because no one has had to replace them yet. I'm not sure about the tie rod ends making a pop sound when going bad. I thought you just get 'play' in the steering when they start going bad. I think you have a strut mount going bad. Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't expect to replace tie rod ends during the life of the vehicle.

That being said in 50 years of driving i have never replaced them before 100,000 miles and many vehicles i have had have gone into the mid 200,000 mile range without replacing them.

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
What they said!

This video is a good way to check to see if it's your tie rods. While you have the tire off the ground put your hands at 12 and 6 and rock it to check the ball joints while you're at it. I highly doubt the ball joint is making the noise but it's a 2 sec test.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
At least 79,000 miles and still going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts