Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Yah my roommate has an older 4banger civic, he gets around 35mpg...but it also takes him 35 seconds to get to 60 :uhh:
the highest ive ever gotten was 38. lowest was 25.

and to be honest, its not much slower than my 99 v6. its actually pretty quick (relatively speaking lol). the only thing is that its completely missing torque - and sadly, thats the part i enjoyed the most.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I get good gas mileage and it's just as fast (read: faster) than my six was.
I get between 28-31mpg on the interstate driving 70-72mph. In town driving isn't to bad. I had a 96 mystic cobra that got between 25-27mpg interstate driving as along as there where no chevy's going my way. LOL!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I put my factory wheels and tires back on and got 26 a big difference than the 18 I'm gettin now but they are just so ugly

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My GT gets about 19-23 MPG with a mix of driving-more highway (also longer, as per distance, trip).

If you are seeing that bad of gas mileage have you done a nice tune up, from air filter to fuel filter on the car? Do you have good driving habits? What mods do you have (some can have negative effects for various reasons)?

As noted tires can affect MPG significantly, both the size and pressure. Fuel efficiency is also a curve meaning that at a certain speed your fuel efficiency will peak and after that MPG will start to drop. Also what gas do you use? You should be using the recommended fuel for your car (Octane 87) unless it is otherwise tuned for another grade. You also do not want to use any discount gas, aim for name brand gas stations. Also how much ethanol is in the fuel? If I'm not mistaken a mix of ethanol in regular gas for cars not really tuned for ethanol can decrease some mileage.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
the highest ive ever gotten was 38. lowest was 25.

and to be honest, its not much slower than my 99 v6. its actually pretty quick (relatively speaking lol). the only thing is that its completely missing torque - and sadly, thats the part i enjoyed the most.
Oh the newer civics (especially the SI's) are no slouches. They have a decent amount of hp, just lack in torque like you said. My roommate's civic is a 96 or something, so...not too fast.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that for every rim size you go up from your factory size you can expect to lose about 1mpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up my '00 V6 coupe for more of a daily driver over my '01 GT vert, but it seems that my 3.8 doesn't give me much better gas mileage than my 4.6 which is not only a bit odd but a bit upsetting :(

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I picked up my '00 V6 coupe for more of a daily driver over my '01 GT vert, but it seems that my 3.8 doesn't give me much better gas mileage than my 4.6 which is not only a bit odd but a bit upsetting :(
Yah it seems most people initially believe that the v6 will get way better gas mileage than the 2v v8's, but they really only get a couple more mpgs. To me, the 2 extra mpgs on the highway aren't worth the lack of v8-ness. So, if you're basing your mustang model choice on mileage...don't.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm surprised y'all aren't getting better. My 'vette gets a hair over 20 in town and 26 or 27 on the interstate.
I read an article on the C6 and apparently since the vette is so aerodynamic (huge aspect to MPG, duno why priuses are shaped like a damn egg...) and the 6th gear is much higher compared to 6th in most sports cars, it gets 35 MPG at 55 on the highway... that's insane for a 6 liter v8. Also it's super light, compare that to a 6.1 Hemi that's about 4500 pounds... yup.

In the shelby, the extra gear is between 5th and 6th... optimal for highway acceleration, but since 6th is the same ratio as 5th in a GT, it gets worse mileage (heavier, more displacement) It's all about power + gear ratio vs curb weight and drag. Mustang's are shaped like bricks. Chargers are bigger bricks. Vettes are like space shuttles lol

·
Registered
716 Posts
Oh yeah, I get about 26/27 if it's all highway (3.73 gears, manual)... 20ish if it's both, and more like 18 when I'm having a Steve McQueen day... 16 when It's a Nic Cage day...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The Toyota Prius is shaped that way because they have to fit a bunch of batteries in there. Still I think they could do a better job with the design of that car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I get between 28-31mpg on the interstate driving 70-72mph. In town driving isn't to bad. I had a 96 mystic cobra that got between 25-27mpg interstate driving as along as there where no chevy's going my way. LOL!!
My MPG is now 26 with the 3.73's. Not a bad exchange for the performance difference.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i get 20-22 around town and 26-27 on the highway. i get 275-325 per 12.5 gallons of gas i put in weekly. cuz i drive on interstate and highway everyday for college since i live an hour away from it.

and i have 3.73's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
as a stock 96, I was getting 19 - 20 mpg. Added following items:
Cold Air Intake
BBK Throttle Body & spacer
Under-drive pulleys
Dual Exhaust by Pypes

I am now getting a consistant 24 mpg, unless of course my foot goes heavy, then it's down to 23....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I get like 18-20 even when I ride it ez and when I have my foot in it, does really change much.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts