Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my mac progressive rate lowering springs istalled over the summer, and i can only see a 3/4 inch drop. BUT the shop insisted they install these other polyurethane spring insulators, and i saw them, and they were pretty thick. Could these be the reason why i havent achieved the drop i want? Can i take them off w/o ruining the cars handling? I really want to achieve the potential of my drop.....should i do this?

Also, anybody in sandiego area want to help me take them off?? :headbang:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
first, they are isolators, not insulators.

next, yes, you can take them off, but it would be very stupid. the reason they are there is to prevent metal to metal contact. plus, the urethane isolators keep the spring to one spot and it cant dig into the factory rubber ones. (over time, they get thin and wear off leading to less handling)

you can always buy the factory ones if you want and put them on and that will lower your car a tad, but youll lose some handling. just keep them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cause on 3.8 they have like 1/2 the peeps dont have the isolators on....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
well, you will get metal to metal sounds. you can do it. i dont suggest it.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
You can do what I did I trimmed my isolators and you can do it to if you have a table saw or band saw with a fine tooth blade

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i have no top front, but have all the rest not a single peep of any odd noise as of yet its been like 8 months.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i can take off the top ones? what about the back, can i take them off the back ones too?? Just the tops, or all of them???

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
dont take the top NORE bottom out on the back it makes noise, the front ONLY take out the top, its good for .2 more drop max

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
OK now the truth on the removing of your isolators. they are there for more than noise reduction but to isolate the spring metal and the A Arms. the metals working on each other will cause wear and friction, friction causes heat and heat causes stress and stress causes fatigue. Yes Faliure of parts!!!! you never have metal parts working on each other without lubrication or a material between them to cool and protect. If I wants to have minimal material as a isolator I would at the very least use some thick hard rubber sheet and cut it to fit to place between the spring and A arm

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I agree with Corey, I wouldn't run without isolators, metal rubbing metal is never a good idea! :shock:

·
Registered
941 Posts
the tops of the back ones are worthless mostly IMO from seeing the amount of flattening and holes worn into it on a low mileage car to boot.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Rick0636 said:
I agree with Corey, I wouldn't run without isolators, metal rubbing metal is never a good idea! :shock:
Yes with Rick and my age combined that is over 95 years of experience so listen to us and do not remove isolators without putting something in there to prevent metal to metal wearing

;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes, as much as I hate to see it happening, I got plenty of age! I have a birthday coming up Sunday the 16th, I will be 53 years YOUNG, lol.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Ha ha, most of you are older than my parents lol. I'm in college by the way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts