Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the average price would run me for new gearing in my 01 v6 stang? What gearing do you recommend also?

James

·
Banned
11,189 Posts
Automatic or 5- Speed?

Price will be around 900 dollars intalled for the gears, traction lok, chip to correct speedo and top speed, and installation.

If you have a automatic go with 4.10 gears if you have a 5-speed go with 3.73.. this is the general rule.

People have used 4.10's in a 5-speed and have not had any problems just depends on how much you like shifting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm I got a 5 speed

What is the basic theory behind the gearing ratios ? Whats the difference between 3:73 and 4:10 ? is 4:10 more torque? what is stock?

So the going rate for the whole package deal is around 900.00. Do you think the price is worth it? what would be the HP gains?

thanks again ,
James

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
You won't gain any hp...but you will launch faster and be faster through all the power band with gears, makes the engine's power so much more efficient. I don't know the exact times it knocks off..but it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I got my car back today!!!I paid $950 installed for 4.10s, auburn carrier...all i have to say is :woot:

I can't wait untill the carrier is broken in :D

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
950...seems about right assuming its installed with a lsd.

going with just gears seems like a waste.

for an auto you want 4.10's and for 5spd 3.73
you have to remember with our 7.5" axles we need the installation parts for dropping in the t-lok and gears.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
tedness said:
950...seems about right assuming its installed with a lsd.

going with just gears seems like a waste.

for an auto you want 4.10's and for 5spd 3.73
you have to remember with our 7.5" axles we need the installation parts for dropping in the t-lok and gears.
yeah an Auburn LSD unit was installed... that price also included the bearing kit btw

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
since its a 2001 you will need to buy

gears: 200
tlok: 180
dallas speedcal: 100
install: 200

... install can go WAY up pay the diff if it means a better/warrantied install

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
900 is far to much for a rear gear/tlok swap.... you can buy an 8.8 rear end complete for 725.00 with 3.73 gears adn tlok installed ready to bolt up....

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
SpectorV said:
900 is far to much for a rear gear/tlok swap.... you can buy an 8.8 rear end complete for 725.00 with 3.73 gears adn tlok installed ready to bolt up....
yea, i called every junk yard in my phone book and the only 8.8 i found was $700. I wish i knew where to get one cheaper. Are you just saying generally that's what you can get or do you know a specific place where i can get that (8.8 w/ tlok and 3.73's)

·
Banned
11,189 Posts
SpectorV said:
and then 300 dollars for a chip if he has a auto

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
yea if you have a 99 up you will need a chip.... www.speedconcepts.net has 8.8 rear ends but they are for pre 99s (are a tad short, 1.5 inches over all .75 per side... so you will need wheel spacers and what not)

do you have abs, traction control? if you have any of that crap you may as well just stick with your oem parts, just get an auburn diff to make it a little stronger, thats the weak link of the 7.5 not the gears.

·
Registered
296 Posts
well how much difference(lenght- you mentioned needing wheel spacers) is there with an older rear dif because i have an 03' and its really tempting to say screw the 7.5 and go for the 8.8... acutally i m pretty sure thats what im going to do. how much and where does the chip go? i have trac-control so does that change anything...also last question.. can anyone find out if my 03' auto vert. with trac control and leather and mach 460 has ABS .. i m thinking NO. because i slide into a tree and i just punchd the brake because i freaked instead of pumping it .. thanks for everything

1 - 20 of 23 Posts