Registered
3,997 Posts
Hey Bucko

++++++:good::good::good:
:lmao:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I got quotes from respected shops here in FL for between $500 and $750. I went with steeda and paid $533 out the door. Thats for gears, install, and all the gaskets and fluids. If you need new bearings you can add about $100 on to that price but with a 2013 you should be fine. I had just over 30K miles on my 2012 when I got mine done and did not need new bearings.

·
Registered
452 Posts
well i have a new 2013 mustang i have like 300-400ish miles one it, its stander
and i want to get the Ford Racing 3.73 Gears and Bama Tuner (10-13 GT; 11-13 V6) combo kit, does that come everything i need or do i need buy other parts does come with everything in the combokit??

·
Registered
803 Posts
If your not installing the gears yourself you are better off just buying them from the place that is installing them. If you want to try it yourself then there is an install kit you can buy. It has the gaskets, gear oil and just about everything else you need.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I got quotes from respected shops here in FL for between $500 and $750. I went with steeda and paid $533 out the door. Thats for gears, install, and all the gaskets and fluids. If you need new bearings you can add about $100 on to that price but with a 2013 you should be fine. I had just over 30K miles on my 2012 when I got mine done and did not need new bearings.
U can get the bearing for 20-25 from autozone bro i did instead of paying AM 89

·
Registered
452 Posts
If your not installing the gears yourself you are better off just buying them from the place that is installing them. If you want to try it yourself then there is an install kit you can buy. It has the gaskets, gear oil and just about everything else you need.
but i want the bama tune thats why i want to get combo so i have both but before i buy i want to make sure the 3.73 gears come with everything so when i go to a shop i just pay for the install and nothing else

·
Registered
803 Posts
if you get the bama tune you will have free tunes for life. just tell them you are getting gears and the ratio and they will send you tunes via e-mail. then you can put them on the tuner and load them on the car as soon an the gears are done. it's up to you on how you want to do it but you can get the tune for your gears either way.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My local ford dealer told $500 just to install they must not want my buisness or think im just stupid. Lol
thats a dealer for ya. There not going to give you a good deal because they dont want to have to warranty the work. Your better off going to a speed shop that is used to doing things like gears anyways. You will get a better price and a shop that does gear swaps regularly.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yes +1

thats a dealer for ya. There not going to give you a good deal because they dont want to have to warranty the work. Your better off going to a speed shop that is used to doing things like gears anyways. You will get a better price and a shop that does gear swaps regularly.
He's right, unless your dealer is a Mustang fan, and many are, use a speed shop.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Dealers usually use the "FLAT RATE BOOK"

They go by the book and if the books say's it takes five hours that is what they charge you for even if it only takes two or three hours to do a job.
Ronnie

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have no clue what this all entails so I am wondering what shops you guys are going to? Just a regular mechanic that you trust or are these specialty shops or just dropping it off at a Jiffy Lube and hoping for the best?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have no clue what this all entails so I am wondering what shops you guys are going to? Just a regular mechanic that you trust or are these specialty shops or just dropping it off at a Jiffy Lube and hoping for the best?
Unless in the last 30-40 years gears got to be a drop-in operation like an alternator, most folks back in my day had to go to a shop that did Gears to make sure the "gunsmith like fit" would last for 100,000 miles. If gear shims were off in 20K miles they could be ruined. Dealers had guides and jigs to do it for their brand, and speed shops had "speed smiths" that could do it in their sleep. Standard Mec shops hardly ever had folks experienced in gears.

Did anything change since the 70s? Or are gears like a drop in trigger job now?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts