Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the maximum horsepower and torque that the stock internals on the 3.8l v6 safely handle before you need to start upgrading ?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
hmm, this is kinda a debatable question. Many people here have supercharged their V6 withstock internals if that's where you are heading with this question from your other post. The key to having long lasting internals is a good tune, I would definatey recommend Alberto for this. But to give you more of a solid answer I would say somewhere around 300-350hp would be safe. But remember, it's always to be safe that sorry.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good tune AND good maintenance. Regular oil changes, plug checks/replacements, etc. A power adder will magnify poor maintenance issues.

Steve

·
Registered
187 Posts
a the stock internals can handle a fair amount of power but there would need to be a lot of fuel managment and spark upgrades. like new injectors, fuel pump, new spark plugs, wires, and even a new cam and heads will help the life of the stock internals. If the set up is there then you could run about 14psi on a blower and a good 50 shot of nitrous. so maybe around 400-430rwhp. on stock internals for a v6. my friend has a 2001 v6 and is runing 13 psi on stock internals with a procharger and 30 shot of nitrous. his car has 45,000 miles on it. It's not recomended to do it for a long time though, thats why he's getting forged wiseco pistons and rods, with moly rings. if you don't want to risk the stock internals, dish out about $1500 and get the forged internals, its worth the money if your serious about the massive amount of hp. BTW, my friend also has a 2000 gt rear end with 3.73 gears which also is good to have with that much torque. Your rear end will probably go before your engine will. good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
pretty much the stock everything on a 99+ is fine until you start to rearch the 325rwhp level then they begin to need replacing. I would say after 320rwhp~ upgrade some items but the spark even then would probably be fine.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Another major factor is the tune... you can blow up a car with 8 psi 10 times faster than one with 11 or heck even 15 if the tune is very good... the little pos chips they send you are wrothless ONLY have a real dynotune done someone who knows what they are doing... and those are few and far between.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can buy crate engines for the 3.8 Liter V6 and the 4.2 Liter at redlined performance. the web address is www.rpm_mustangs.com. These engines can handle up to 11 psi and possibly more with the upgrade options. This is where I'm going to order my mustang engine from. Currently my car has 132,000+ miles on it but it uses
no oil and doesn't smoke.But adding a supercharger or NOS to might make the engine
give up compression or worse spit a rod out. That's why I'm getting a new engine
with some of the upgrade options. these engines can make 350 to 450 horsepower
without any worries.That is with a supercharger or turbocharger.Check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Go with longtubes if you don't have to worry about emissions...if you do than shorties are your ticket. On 94-98 the Shorties make minimal gains until around 300hp(? or 250, i forget) but 99+ have ugly ass headers and they could use the help. Both help the sound but I'd trade my shorties for longtubes anyday of the week...

·
Registered
214 Posts
99+ have manifolds not headers ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of these posts are worthless.

A good tune is very important. Chips are not POS...depending on where you get them.

My bone stock 3.8 did just fine at 300rwhp.

My 4.2s have lived past 350rwhp. The last one made 465rwhp.

The stock stuff is better than most people know.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
pete said:
Most of these posts are worthless.

A good tune is very important. Chips are not POS...depending on where you get them.

My bone stock 3.8 did just fine at 300rwhp.

My 4.2s have lived past 350rwhp. The last one made 465rwhp.

The stock stuff is better than most people know.
BINGO. Pete hit it right on the head. The stock motor is quite capable with a good tune. A lot of people waste money modding with stuff they see advertisements in magazines. Dont waste your time playing the Ricer Math Manufacturers Claims game it just does not add up.

Chips are not a POS. I am not sure where that came from. When modding a car it sometimes takes a couple of tunes to get it right, but I will also agree a dyno tune is prefered. I know many people who are happy with their Fordchips and SCT chips. Pete did me right. Hell I had problems but they ended up being my cats being clogged and not the programming!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
the chip that comes with the 11psi procharger kit is a diablo. when he got it he was only getting about 275 hp at the wheels. then i heard that the chip that comes with that particular kit was crap so we went with SCT, cause its made by ford, and after we got the chip from them he was making over 350 at the wheels. some difference a good chip/tune can do to a car. he was also running more boost after the tune as well with only one step smaller pulley.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts