Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I thought about swapping out my stock 6X8's in the rear deck with some that have a lil more juice in em(something better than the 4ohm 25W standard equipment)but I'm not too sure how far to push it.Don't wanna blow anything up(at least unintentually!!) :rockets: so I figured you guys are about the best place to start out.So how bout it?Anyone have an idea of how much of a wattage you can step up to(if any) without causing damage? As always the input is appreciated....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you cant adjust the factory deck's wattage. and new speakers don't make wattage, they use wattage created by the head unit.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
plainly put, you can put the best speakers in the world in your car, and still not blow the head unit. They will sound like crap because you wont have enough power to push them to the necessary wattage, but you can do it w/o blowing your headunit.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
There is an amplifier in your head unit that sends power signals via speaker cables to your speakers and causes them to make the sounds. Your head unit will only make a certain amount of power. Which is not very much at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lowflyn said:
Your head unit will only make a certain amount of power. Which is not very much at all.
So then I guess my original question might should have been:"Does anyone know how much power the stock CD Headunit will produce for speakers?"

Or possibly "at what wattage rating of speakers(above 25W) will a stock headunit start to sound like crap?"

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
the headunit will not sound like crap. you can make the stock headunit work with a $5000 system. You just needs amps to power speakers

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yup. If I had to guess the factory unit puts out around 15-20 watts per channel tops. Just amp all your speakers and it'll sound awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts