Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for answers and you may help point me in the right direction. I own a 2012 Lava Red GT convertible, and called the number in the MCA mag. I was told by a ford rep. that there were only 96 Mustangs painted Lava Red. That’s total, Hardtops, Convertibles, GT’s, V6’s they couldn’t break it down any further. Can you recommend a different source to contact? Apparently I have a very rare car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Red is pretty rare in my garage. Only a blue Veloster and a black Mustang in there.

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lava red replaced grey when the 2012 Mustang production began. In the spring of 2011 the pigment for that paint became unavailable due to the Tsunami in Japan. Ford continued to produce/fill Lava red orders for the next few months, then they discontinued Lava red and replaced it with Grey. I believe the only other time Lava red was offered was in a special Harley edition of an F series truck a few years earlier.
From time to time I would jump on the web and Google "Lava red convertible" just to see what pops up, which by chance is what I did tonight and I found your post.
I too own one of 96, 2012 Lava Red GT convertibles produced. Attached is a page from a thread I found last year with the build numbers, they are pretty rare. I don't know what the numbers in parentheses on that sheet are, but if you take 2.36% of 4066 GT convertibles you get 96 lava red ones. Total Lava red production is another story, there were lots of hard tops and V6 convertibles produced. Of 88,064 - 2012 cars, it looks like 6869 other configurations were also painted lava red.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
They're still available pretty often if you look. There is a real low mileage one for sale on SVTP right now with a Roushcharger on it for $25k. Hardtop, M6, Premium, Lava Red interior trim etc...

However, in even a few years from now they are going to start to get harder and harder to find and are going to be a collectible.

Lol at all the ppl who think that Lava Red is "Red". Most ppl think that they're black until the sun hits the paint and then its like "oshiwtfomg!".

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
When I am in the market for a Coyote or GT500 and if I decide to get a 11/12 car I will definitely be on the lookout for a 2012 Lava Red Auto hardtop. Its one of those cars that kind of... flys under the radar but I know for a fact from talking to ppl who have owned them they turn a LOT of heads and ppl will roll down windows to ask what the heck is going on with the paint.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Ive seen a couple lava exteriors out there...very interesting car color, would love to trade my 6 and get my hands on a manual GT with the same color.
However mine is a black base with lava interior. Ive looked around to see how many others have the same wether in auto or manual and cant seem to find anyone else...with the interior that is.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Looking autotrader, if you are willing to drive they are out there, there are 2 low mileage autos with under 25k miles for $25,000 each within 500 miles of me. Both premiums, one has only 14k miles on it and has the lava interior, the other has 24k miles and the black interior. Actually unsure if I like the lava or black interior better but being a lava exterior, it kind of completes the look.

Lots more M6s than A6s btw.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I think the lava interior adds just a slightly more expensive, classy look to the Mustang vs the basic black. Saddle interior on the 11's looked pretty classy too...

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Only thing that really pisses me off are ppl who drill into the bumpers on cars with rare paints like this. I mean I know dealers do it and not everyone is an enthusiast but nothign looks ****tier than a flat plate on the front of a really mean looking bumper. There are drill free brackets for those who have to be in compliance like me driving onto a military installation in a state that requires front plates. Can easily be taken off for shows or just because I never got stopped by any cops ever in all my years driving in NJ for no front plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the front plate thing, I asked the dealer not to mount the front plate when I ordered it. After 55k miles and three state inspections I was only asked about it once by an officer, so I pulled it out from under the passenger seat and showed him. No holes in this bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I hate you both...damn Mass inspection wouldnt even inspect my car until i put it on...only had 2 days to get it done after i registered my car...even Cali wasnt such a stick up the ass about that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Central Mass and understand what you mean. Just need to find the right inspection station I guess.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Craig's custom drill free brackets. Look them up. Work spectacularly and no tools required.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1 - 20 of 40 Posts