Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see all these pictures of turbos connected to headers and things like that, but i have no idea how theyre set up. is dual exhaust worthless after a turbo or what the heck is the deal... somone explain how theyre set up for me so i understand this.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
turbos work by compressing the exhaust air. they are bolted to the header because that is the shortest distance for the exhaust to flow. the exhaust comes in and spins the turbine which compresses the air. then it is pushed out and into the upper intercooler piping into the intercooler. then passes into more piping into the throttle body. there is a wastegate on them that when you shift or are at max boost, it will bleed off some of the air into the downpipe. to get technical, there is a recirculating and an atomospheric blow off valve. both release air from in the piping if boost is too high. keeps it at Xpsi. the downpipe is basically the new header. its usually about 3" in diameter becuase its easier to run single exhaust with it. however, you can use a reverse y-pipe and make it run duals if you really wanted to.

here is a pic i borrowed from www.boost-solutions.com. is shows the basic look of a turbo. you can see in the backgroud a flang. that is hooked up to the exhaust manifold. it is then spun and compressed with fresh air (from the impellor side) and then passed to the outlet pipe which is facing 3 o'clock. behind the impeller side, is where the downpipe comes off of

also, check out www.howstuffworks.com for more detailed info with better pics

·
Registered
941 Posts
they are about to. proturbokits already does, with more coming afterwards.

www.howstuffworks.com

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
proturbo does NOT make a kit for the stang anymore. they had horrible welds, even worse tuning, and the prototype car blew its engine. plans to start selling turbo kits are out there but only by individual people so it takes a while for them to build them

·
Registered
941 Posts
the reason why the test kit car got fubared was because xavier was a dumbass and broke contract by upping the boost to at least 13-14psi. i wasn't aware they stopped making them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
no one else i have heard of still sells the PTK kit. and no one on any board i have read on has bought one. so i would avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the exhaust gasses sping the fan blade inside the exhaust side housing, which is connected to the intake or blower side. With more stress, the engine puts out more gasses, making the wheel spin faster, compressing the intake air, causing boost. The fan sizes and housing sizes affect how much boost is made how quickly, on either side of the turbo.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
doesn't turbo kits kill engines tho? who told me that..

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
WHAT A DIRTY CAR! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts